Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First time to post and first Wing. Wasn't really looking for an old girl, but I'm knee deep in a partial rebuild of an '87 Aspencade. This forum has been an awesome resource; thanks to all for sharing your experiences. I'm really digging the old bike and about a week away from getting her back together for our maiden voyage!

So here's the problem of the day that I can't find in a thread: the rear shock dust covers are wasted - really cracked and barely even hanging on. I have the rear wheel, bags and final drive off now for a variety of repairs and updates. So now would be a perfect time for a solution to re-cover the bottom section of these shocks.

Do I need to do this? Are there any ideas out there of how to 'git er done'?

·
Premium Member
4,212 Posts
WELCOME from ILLINOIS
Auto parts stores shock boot cover.
Number, SA1997 (last number designates colors)
I believe 1997 is black.

GOOD LUCK on the maiden voyage.
FM - Floyd
:waving:

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Boot

Thanks FM, that was quick! I have run out of talent in figuring out how to get the old ones off. Do they just 'pull down', pry off or do i cut them off? Do the new ones clamp on, glue on or maybe just snap into place?

·
Premium Member
4,212 Posts
I haven't used on yet. But what I hear the split & glue ones don't work that well.
Also I haven't taken one apart yet, my wings got 139K & (as far as I know) all but timing belts are OEM.
Hopefully others will chime in soon,
I used a round plastic oil bottle cut to fit over the bellows that were left. Going on 2 years now and still working keeping the dust out... but I wouldn't suggest that route.
Good luck

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ha, oil bottle eh? That's awesome. We'll see if anyone else chimes in, but I'll hit the local parts store in the a.m. with the part number you gave me.

·
Premium Member
4,212 Posts
What I hear they ZipTie on with no problems. Unsure of your shock but the 1500's needs a cage to unload the spring.
Do the search for it.

SA1992 is GWF yellow. LOL

·
Premium Member
4,212 Posts
My saved GL1500 info....

Monroe Shock-Mate Boot Kit SA1997 also TSSA1997
Last price if I remember correctly, $6 each??? +shipping

EBAY I see is currently just under $7.00 with shipping

·
Premium Member
3,795 Posts
I went the auto parts store route myself three years ago. I cut the old ones off, but undid the shocks from the swingarm to install the new covers and used hose-clamps to keep them in place. The bags on the 1200's do a good job of hiding them...

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks Shooter. Picked up the boots yesterday and gonna do surgery this weekend. Do you recall if you cut off even up as far as to take ALL of the top black ridge away? Seems like you pretty much have to... I suppose hose clamps are more secure than the zip ties, eh?

·
Just Winging It
3,327 Posts
My zip ties are still holding. I'd use what you have on hand.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.