Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am reworking my 1985 GW Interstate which has “sat” for 15 years. I am overhauling the rear air shocks. I have watched several videos on this activity and removed the 1st shock from the bike. The dust boot came off easily because it was brittle and broke apart. The first step in the videos is to remove the snap ring. My shock has a hard rubber piece above the snap ring which I can view below this hard rubber part. I haven’t been able to finesse this part out but can see the snap ring below it. This hard rubber part does not appear in the shock parts blow up. I’m on the verge of cutting this part out using a dermal tool but decided it was time for some help. HELP, how do I remove this hard rubber part to get to the snap ring? I will attach a picture. The shock is a SHOWA MG9-771.

·
Administrator
24,999 Posts
Can't imagine what you are seeing. Some of them have a wire ring holding the seal in instead of a regular snap ring. You can push the seal in slightly to be able to get a small screwdriver behind the ring.

·
Administrator
24,999 Posts
Yes, that is normal, I can see the wire ring around the edge of the black, it has a gap i it somewhere. Drive the black part in a little and you can get the ring out.

·
Premium Member
3,508 Posts
'84s used a snap ring, '85-87s used a wire ring that fit in a groove, it has a break. Find the break in the wire ring and work it out from there.

Don't cut the seal, etc, don't damage the shock cartridge sides either. Once the ring is out, might have to put shock in a bucket and use air to blow seal out. It's almost just like a Progressive Suspension #416, uses same seals even. This is a drawing from Progressive, it shows the shock upside down, It is a lot like you're gonna find. Progressives had stiffer springs, a little different valving, but in this aspect, they are pretty close to same.

They are so much alike that the Progressive instructions will guide you too.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank You, Thank You, Thank You! With the confidence the answers provided I was able to drive the hard rubber piece in enough to expose the wire ring. It came out fine so now on with the rework. Thanks Dave0430, I will now proceed with CrystalPistol's sock trick (which I also saw in a YouTube Video).

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I am reworking my 1985 GW Interstate which has “sat” for 15 years. I am currently overhauling the rear air shocks. I have the shocks off and apart and ready to order parts. The attached photo (1983 Rear Shock) shows a rubber "bumper". My shocks have a totally degraded, disintegrated, (previous rubber?) mess at this location. I've been unable to identify this part (part number) in any of the parts blowups I've seen. Does the 85 Interstate have this same part and what part number should I order?

·
Administrator
24,999 Posts
That part is not available separately. The only idea I have, and have done is cut a 1/2" piece of 3/8" oil resistant hose to use for that.

·
Administrator
24,999 Posts
Would be easy to find an automotive rubber bumper from an car shock . Your local workshop probably has some used lying around or you could buy new ones at the car spare parts shop .
But they are not oil resistant and will deteriorate pretty fast inside the shock.

·
Premium Member
3,508 Posts
Might be worth a look at "Energy Suspension", they primarily make /sell polyurethane suspension bushings, boots, etc. They have universal stuff too. Google them.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts