Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I ordered new progressive springs and new seals for my rear shocks. I will be tackeling it next week. What is the best way to get the old seals out? Using air or some other method? The manual recommends ATF, what say you guys?

·
Premium Member
2,445 Posts
imported post

To remove the seal:

- dismount one shock, leave air hose connected, support shock so hose is not stressed
- remove boot
- remove inner circlip
- stick a screwdriver thru the lower eye of the shock (to catch the parts)
- wrap the shock with rags
- place bundle in a 5 gallon bucket
- pump in about 50 or 60 PSI
- wait for seal to pop out (operative word here is POP)
- after it pops, go change your shorts
- unwrap the bundle and note the order and orientation of all parts

- disconnect the air hose and take shock to your work bench

Rebuild this one shock, reinstall, then repeat with the other shock.

I put 30w fork oil in mine, but I'm a big guy and have a sidecar mounted.

·
Premium Member
2,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

Pump it up with on board compressor?

·
Premium Member
2,445 Posts
imported post

Unless someone more familiar with an on-board compressor sayz no, I would think the on-board compressor would be fine. Unless there is something about the on-board system that would make sudden decompression a problem...

·
Down
279 Posts
imported post

when i did mine i took the shocks off the bike and used an air gun i had with a rubber tip and put the shock in a 5 gallon bucket lined with a large rag or towel. removed the lock ring that holds the seal in place and put the air to it till it popped.

·
Down
279 Posts
imported post

I also used 5wt rear shock oil that honda dealer had that was made by showa for these shocks. a lot of people have used atf, 10wt or even 15wt shock oil but imo i think they are all a little to heavy with the new progressive springs and the 5wt oil i have a nice smooth well as smooth as its gonna get ride I'm very pleased with the 5wt oil

·
Bob Cassel
386 Posts
imported post

If you are putting Progressive Suspension springs in, don't go with 30 wt oil. It will be stiff as a board. Use the ATF that is recommended and then only put 30 psi in. I weigh in at 260 and wife is about 125. We run it this way it feels fine!

·
Premium Member
2,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

Thanks for the reply. I have read a few other threads where some folks were dis-satisfied with the result of the rebuild. I don't know if they were not replacing springs or using stock springs or what. I got my progressive springs and oem seals from bikebandit. $92 shipped

·
Bob Cassel
386 Posts
imported post

That's about right. Those that weren't entirely satisfied, just did the seals. You'll be happy with the end result of the springs and seals.

·
Premium Member
336 Posts
imported post

******STOP THE PRESS ******

What you REALLY have to be careful about isthe inner-most ring. If this travels down too far unchecked it can nick the tube and cause seal failure after rebuild.

( I hope I've made myself clear on this).

Dave.

·
Premium Member
2,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
imported post

cobradb wrote:
im assuming you had shock leaks? what were ur symptoms?
shocks bottoming out, one up, very likely that springs are bad. Either way, to refill properly, shocks need to come apart. While I have them apart, I will put in new seals and progressive springs. No need to do it twice.

·
Premium Member
2,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
imported post

WingerDave wrote:
******STOP THE PRESS ******

What you REALLY have to be careful about isthe inner-most ring. If this travels down too far unchecked it can nick the tube and cause seal failure after rebuild.

( I hope I've made myself clear on this).

Dave.
I will inspect tubes closely for damage. Thanks for the tip

·
Premium Member
2,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
imported post

Well I got my rear shocks rebuilt and hear are a few pics of my spring rig. Thanks to broke winger

Thanks for the idea BW

Man does that thing ride better.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.