Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
763 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

After 107k miles I think it's time to look at replacing my rear shocks and was considering the progressive 416's . Will this give me a soft ride, which I need as my passenger has arthritis and cannot "be bumped about" .

Any suggections/thoughts would be appreciated.

·
Premium Member
4,328 Posts
imported post

Not really over sized air shocks are better for a soft ride.

·
Premium Member
763 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

RB, thanks for the prompt reply. Any suggestions for the oversize shocks ?

·
Senior Guru
3,589 Posts
imported post

The 416 gives a firmer ride Ron. All the aftermarket shocks available for the 1500 give a firmer ride, there is probably no demand for softer. If you want softer, the OEM Honda shocks is what you need.

·
Premium Member
763 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

Thanks GWNorman, that's what I feared.

·
Premium Member
742 Posts
imported post

I have the Progressive 450(expensive) set to the middle setting and the right air cylinder only needs 4-5 lbs with my 180 lbs. With 120 lb paasenger and the air cyclinder needs 7-8 lbs. 200+ passenger and then 12-14 lbs or so. I have Progressives and 10w oil in the front also, but liked the originals better. I didn't realize how badly my Honda left shock was sagging from all the years and about 80k on it about 3yrs ago. Passengers said it felt smoother in their seat with the new shock. The rear end is more controlled now with a lot less air. Maybe someone else has an opinion on the 450 also.

·
Administrator
26,547 Posts
imported post

The passenger will usually get a better ride with a firmer suspension. The soft suspension tends to bottom out causing a severe jar. A progressive rear spring on my 1800 made the passenger much more comfortable.

·
Premium Member
1,791 Posts
imported post

That has been my experience as well... I have the 416's on my 93 Aspy and the ride is firm but better handling... The OEM single shock and air bag give a softer ride but the handling is not quite as good... I haven't tried anything else over the years but I'm tempted to go back to the OEM for a softer ride...

Les

·
Premium Member
763 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

Thanks for all the replies. Forgot to say that my passenger is under 90lbs, wet through, although I may weigh a little more !

Attachments

·
Premium Member
144 Posts
imported post

you could just try trike builders for the oem shocks from a newer less mile machine i got an air shock at 40 quid so they are out there

andy

·
Premium Member
375 Posts
imported post

Hi Ron,

I have had the 416's forever, and I agree that they will give the bike a little firmer ride. And I agree that handling is better.
If you have a stock seat, have you given thought to either an aftermarket seat, or some alterations to the stock one to make it more comfortable for your better half? Just a thought.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.