Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

As I am waiting for the new thermostat, to finish the cooling system, another issue

popped up, and thought i would ask for an opinion. This bike does not have a compressor, but an air tank, with a value stem. It was not holding air to the rear shocks, so i replaced the valve stem, and tightened, still not holding air. which leads me to eventually check the hoses to the shocks, and the culprit, probably the shocks themselves. So here are the questions.

1. are there rebuild kits for the factory shocks and are they worthwhile? Where would you find them?

2. What about an aftermarket, bolt in, non air shock, and forget that all together?

And where would you find them?

opinions please, I am sure someone has dealt with this before.

I hear those bad reports on progressives by the way, so what about other companies?

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

New seals should allow the shocks to hold air just fine.

I had Progressives on my 1200 and now have them on my 1500 and like them. No problems with either set. They were the air/spring 416s.

·
Premium Member
3,391 Posts
imported post

exavid, did you notice any raising of the seat height with the progressive rear shocks?

I try to ride with as little air in my system as possible, I still have my rear Honda 85 aspy shocks but the front springs have been replaced with progressives, the bike seems to handle better at lower speeds with less air in the shocks. If I put lots of air in the rear it seems to sort of wallow in acceleration as your taking off, once reached normal speeds its fine and acceleration at speed it seems fine. I figured I might try a set of progressives on the rear that don't need much if any air.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

I didn't notice much raising of the rear end with the 416s, but there's less sag when you put your weight on the bike. Also lots less with a pax. I run my front forks with 0psi and find that works fine on my 1500. I use anywhere from 20 solo to 55psi two up on the rear.

·
Premium Member
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

would still like to know where to find the seals and a repair kit for the original shocks.

thanks

·
Premium Member
40 Posts
imported post

Can you still use the OEM controls with the new Progressives or does it have its own control?

·
Premium Member
969 Posts
imported post

Gumpy wrote:
would still like to know where to find the seals and a repair kit for the original shocks.

thanks
you can get the seals from mother honda (about the only thing you can change in them) part number is 91257-mg9-671. cost from service honda (do an online search) is $8.71 each.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Yep, you just order the connection kit which adapts the 426s air lines to the bike's, I think the kit is around $20 or so. It works just like the original except better. It isn't cheap but it's a big improvement.

·
Premium Member
40 Posts
imported post

When they price them at somewhere around $350....is that for four or just the rear?

·
Premium Member
623 Posts
imported post

That's just for the rear shocks.

·
Banned
200 Posts
imported post

I have just installed 416's in the back and fork springs, my cost with shipping from Bike Bandit was right around $400 and that included air fittings adaptor kit for the shocks.
I compared the old with new and the length of the shock was identical, my bikes geometry is the same as it was except that bike no longer sags as Exavid pointed out.
I don't use any air for solo riding and am very pleased with this upgrade.

I have read in the past about peole having dificulties adjusting to stiff ride and have no idea as to what their problem was other then missunderstanding of the whole concept of suspension, it's function and proper selection of the shock and/or air input to suit the conditions.
I have read about some people buying longer shocks then complaining about increased hight of the rear end and sidekick not being able to hold bike in proper balance:gunhead:

If you ask around, you'll find that 9 out of 10 people who have Progressives, loves them and that one guy did something wrong or simply has no idea what he is talking about, in few cases there may have been actual issue with shocks performance or factory defect which got resolved to the benefit of both rider and Progressive's reputation.

In my opinion, they are worth every penny but since you have standard 1200, you would probably be just fine with 200 series shocks which sell for about $200 a pair.
Since you have no bags you will have easy access to spring preload cam and that takes care of it, no need for air.

·
Premium Member
40 Posts
imported post

I have the GL1200A SEi, loaded. I'm sure I will need the extra shock. I am going to replace the tires first and then go for the Progressive system. I take it, it should cost me somewhere around $500.00 to get the front and rear to an exceptable ride. I do want the original compressor and controls to work. Thanks for the info.:goofygrin:

·
Premium Member
538 Posts
imported post

I just changed my rear shocks to the progressive 416's and I love em. I run em at 30lbs psi.

My progressive front fork springs are waiting for me to get to the dealership to have them installed.

I will say that my entire suspension system WAS leaking air & oil. Now that the rear-end has been fixed, my front tire is being used up at a considerable rate. Once the front-end is fixed I shouldn't have this issue. Just thought you might want to know if you are planning on changing your rubber BEFORE your suspension..... do not be suprised if the rubber goes bye bye rather quickly.

·
Premium Member
2 Posts
imported post

hay bro u talked about replacing the clutch without removing the motor really could use some guidence on this 1984 gl 1200a

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.