Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Ole Guy
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

GL1200 1985, Need advice. I discovered this weekend my dust guards on the rear shocks are cracked wide open. I do not know if the shocks are original or aftermarket. They are air shocks. The shafts are still clean and they function well. What are my options?

Ole Guy

·
Premium Member
1,299 Posts
imported post

Someone just posted where to get replacement covers. It was at auto zone if I recall. said they come in more colors then just black,if you want to get fancy.,,

·
Ole Guy
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

Big Cahuna,thanks for the reply. I would have never guessed Auto Zone. That is most promissing that the covers can be replaced, rather thanwhole units. Like your line up of retired rides.

Ole Guy

·
Premium Member
1,365 Posts
imported post

Copied this from this forum. Think same as above picture. Don't know if will work for GL 1200. Take old one with you. Good luck and let us know what works.

GL1500 Shock Boot Called to the two local Honda dealers and neither had the $40 boot in stock. Not wanting to wait, I tried Advanced Auto to see if they had an automotive boot that would approximate the Honda boot. I found the Monroe Shock-Mate Boot Kit SA1997 to be a good fit. I had to cut about 3" off the top and zip-tie it in place. They come in virtually every color, even "Hot Pink" (SA-1995) if you're so inclined. All for only $6.49!

·
Premium Member
2,970 Posts
imported post

Im not sure if the above picture shows a plastic or rubber boot but I picked up a set of rubber boots for long travel offroad truck shocks. The rubber stretches in order to fit around the body of the shock and the other just rests at the bottom.
I bought mine from JC whitney it was approx$5 a boot and they are available in different colors. I chose black because I dont like to stand out like too much of a sore thumb.
The toughest part for mne was getting the shock off of the control arm , even with no air pressure there is some preload with the wheel off the ground. Affter that I stretched the rubber just enought to get it over the body and attatched the supplied large hose clamp to keep er in place
Jose

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.