Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I like the low feeling I have by riding with no air on stock air shocks. also the way it looks. but it is a bit hard on the ass and spine at times. I am thinking of doing some work to get something of a shock in the back but actually do not want to increase the height. Any simple mods or bolt on that might help??? do the progressive springs lift the rear??? Anyone else lower the ass end and like it that way??

·
Banned
12,287 Posts
imported post

I had worked on bike that these on it. Don't exactly know if they were made, bought, or what, but they looked solid to me. Dropped the bike enough with factory shocks on it for me to like it.

Something like these on yours would work. They'd have to be for the mounting that the 1100 has though. You could have something similar made...

Attachments

·
Premium Member
8,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

CaptainMidnight85 wrote:
I had worked on bike that these on it. Don't exactly know if they were made, bought, or what, but they looked solid to me. Dropped the bike enough with factory shocks on it for me to like it.

Something like these on yours would work. They'd have to be for the mounting that the 1100 has though. You could have something similar made...
would you make the progressive upgrade and add something similar????

·
Banned
12,287 Posts
imported post

Well, the guy that had this set-up was going for looks I beleive. The bike felt great to me though. I didn't put a lot of time on it, but it felt fine. He had those lowering pieces and a Corbin Gunfighter on it.

My '78 went a different route. I cut my seat lower and ran air shocks (a 1000) and got the height I was after. I could raise and lower the bike via air. A seal blew on one of the shocks and now I'm running one air and one spring shock. The ride was great, but I lost ability to ride low.

I ran around for the longest time running no air when I had both air shocks on it. I sat flat-footed while in the seat with no air, but lemme tell 'ya, it was like riding a rigid. Zero rear suspension with no air in the S&W's. Probably contributed to the shock failing. Don't know exactly yet as I haven't tried to fix the shock.

I've thought of making those pieces in the picture. The bike rode fine and had been on it for some time, ...so they worked. I've wondered about the stresses those pieces put on the lower shock mounting points, but they had been on there without fail for a quite a while as I know it.

With no air in my bike it sat lower than his. How much? I don't know exactly, but it worked and didn't bottom out on any ride I took with it. I'm +/- 180 lbs.. I don't remember if I was flat-ffoted on his or not. If I wasn't, then I wasn't far from it.

Flat-footing a 1000 with my short legs requires changes. Those pieces are the option IMO aside from air springs with no air, ..which is something I don't recomend. Makes it hard on the bike and the rider.

So, yes. I'd use those pieces with nice springs. I may just end up making those pieces. I can't find 'em anywhere...

:waving:

·
Banned
12,287 Posts
imported post

Well, the guy that had this set-up was going for looks I beleive. The bike felt great to me though. I didn't put a lot of time on it, but it felt fine. He had those lowering pieces and a Corbin Gunfighter on it.

My '78 went a different route. I cut my seat lower and ran air shocks (a 1000) and got the height I was after. I could raise and lower the bike via air. A seal blew on one of the shocks and now I'm running one air and one spring shock. The ride was great, but I lost ability to ride low.

I ran around for the longest time running no air when I had both air shocks on it. I sat flat-footed while in the seat with no air, but lemme tell 'ya, it was like riding a rigid. Zero rear suspension with no air in the S&W's. Probably contributed to the shock failing. Don't know exactly yet as I haven't tried to fix the shock.

I've thought of making those pieces in the picture. The bike rode fine and had been on it for some time, ...so they worked. I've wondered about the stresses those pieces put on the lower shock mounting points, but they had been on there without fail for a quite a while as I know it.

With no air in my bike it sat lower than his. How much? I don't know exactly, but it worked and didn't bottom out on any ride I took with it. I'm +/- 180 lbs.. I don't remember if I was flat-ffoted on his or not. If I wasn't, then I wasn't far from it.

Flat-footing a 1000 with my short legs requires changes. Those pieces are the option IMO aside from air springs with no air, ..which is something I don't recommend. Makes it hard on the bike and the rider.

So, yes. I'd use those pieces with nice springs. I may just end up making those pieces. I can't find 'em anywhere...

:waving:

·
Administrator
26,567 Posts
imported post

What I would do if I were to want to lower one is disassemble the shocks and cut the shaft off and rethread it. You would need to calculate how much you want to lower it taking into consideration the angle of the shocks. I would not shorten the springs. This thread shows you how to take them apart.
http://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/forum9/14189.html

·
The Irish Crew
3,932 Posts
imported post

The bracket that Steve shows looks like an easy one to make up. Anyone with welding skills would be able to turn a pair of those out in an hour or so.

·
Average Goldwing Rider
1,088 Posts
imported post

Those links were marketed back in the day to do exactly what you are trying to do. Typically people would put them on middle sized bikes. There were also struts you could buy to replace the shocks. they essentially turned the bike into a hard tail and they could be bought in several lengths.

The good old days: ape hangers, extended forks, lowered back ends and sissy bars. I knew a guy who had a CB750 with short rear struts, 10" over forks. It was nearly un-rideable, but he liked it.

The best thing would be to find some shorter shocks. It is about being stable.

In last month's Classic Bike Guide there was a story about a barn find Vincent in Minnesota. An old guy bought it new and rode it through his life. He was 3'11" tall and wore wood blocks strapped to the heals of his boots.

·
Premium Member
8,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

i like the idea would a set of non air shocks do the same thing..,,i should have refreshed the page before answering.Brackets good. shorten the shock good. when you say struts are we talking spring over oil shock??

·
Premium Member
8,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

FitzAl wrote:
The bracket that Steve shows looks like an easy one to make up. Anyone with welding skills would be able to turn a pair of those out in an hour or so.
I am liking the bracket thingys.

·
Premium Member
2,790 Posts
imported post

installing progressive springs in the wornout airshocks on the 1100 will not change the riding height but will give you better control since the stock internal springs are for sure worn out and the original shock oil is probably now more like sludge

·
Average Goldwing Rider
1,088 Posts
imported post

bobalou wrote:
i like the idea would a set of non air shocks do the same thing..,,i should have refreshed the page before answering.Brackets good. shorten the shock good. when you say struts are we talking spring over oil shock??
The struts were just solid bars that replaced the shocks. It lowered the bike to the minimum fender clearance and made it into a hard tail.

·
Premium Member
8,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
imported post

JamesPal wrote:
bobalou wrote:
The struts were just solid bars that replaced the shocks. It lowered the bike to the minimum fender clearance and made it into a hard tail.
oh my:?

·
Premium Member
8,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
imported post

Going to order the springs and seals.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.