Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

I'm trying to figure out if it's feesable to rebuild my rear shocks while I have it apart for the tires (steering stem bearings too). Anyway, I can't seem to find anywhere that sells a kit. I went to western honda and they sell all the components individually, but no kits, and the individual components come out to $150. Is there another source?

Also, I'm thinking of doing the steering bearings. I found a set of "all balls" on fleebay for $30, will those work or should I go with OEM ($80).

BTW, I did a forum search but all I can seem to come up with is that the progressive kit probably won't work? :?

·
Premium Member
3,857 Posts
imported post

My experience through watching others that have bought all-balls that that the bearings are made of cheap beer cans, and then further perforated for weight reduction.

If you can find the bearing numbers, a regular bearing house should be able to source a normal brand-name bearing for you for a reasonable price. (Timken or such.)

The progressive parts are only for progressive rear shocks. I had BrokeWinger rebuild mine for my 1200 LTD, and I had progressives on it at the time.

PM Broke and see if he knows where to get the parts. Pretty sharp fella, there.

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
23,323 Posts
imported post

What do you plan on doing to the shock? OEM seals cost me around 20 bucks, as I recall.

·
Premium Member
2,722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
imported post

Bike...and Dennis wrote:
What do you plan on doing to the shock? OEM seals cost me around 20 bucks, as I recall.
They leak so bad I've gotta fill 'em every day now. I don't know what's involved in rebuilding, so I was just going off of what's on the western honda site... all the seals/boots in the diagram X 2. Do I not need all of those? What are the minimums?

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
23,323 Posts
imported post

Ifyou are leaking air, and not oil, maybe it's escaping from somewhere besides the shock. Any of the hoses, the multitude of connections or even the pump could be giving up.

·
Premium Member
2,722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
imported post

Yeah... losing oil too :sadguy:. In fact, if I had to guess, I'd say there may not be any oil left to leak, because last time I wiped 'em dry they stayed that way. But I think the air lines are leaking too, right where they go into the shocks.

Good news is the forks are fine :ROFL:

·
Just me.
2,746 Posts
imported post

There are little o-rings where the hoses go into the shocks, seals are around 20 bucks, if are your boots torn? if not they don't need to be replaced. I bought a set of Progressive springs for my 1100 for 44.00 plus shipping,
Also, check the body of the shock for damage, if not perfectly smooth, they're gonan leak.

·
Premium Member
2,722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
imported post

Actually, I don't have any boots left. They were dry and hard when I got the bike and slowly but surely they've broken off peice by piece until all that's left is one little piece on the upper shock housing.

Are the oil seals the only thing I need to replace? What about all those other o-rings and stuff in the diagram? #'s 9, 10, 24, 11, 15, 14, and 12 are the all the parts I thought I would need...

http://www.westernhonda.com/fiche_section_detail.asp?section=2124988&category=Motorcycles&make=HONDA&year=1985&fveh=124724

·
Premium Member
2,722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
imported post

So 24, 25, and 26 is all I need right? That makes it do-able... see, I knew there was a reason I asked... :cheesygrin::readit:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.