Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

As I only use the Wing (87 1200 asp) two up and the rear shocks need replacing..or at least overhauling, can anyone tell me if its possible to fit sprung shocks..I.E. from an 1100. If so, what are the pitfalls? If not..what sort of price am i looking at for a overhaul? I sure as hell cant afford new ones at the moment.

·
Premium Member
224 Posts
imported post

The GL1100 has an air shock, I think it will fit the 1200. Why not get a set of Progreassives instead? Mucho cheaper than the Honda ones.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

I'll second the motion, Progressives are the way to go. When I ride with the woman who hangs around here, and we put a pretty good load on the bike, the Progressives sure make the bike handle better.

http://www.progressivesuspension.com/metric.html

·
Premium Member
580 Posts
imported post

I agree, Progressives are the best BUT, if your budget is as tight as mine, there is an alternative that I have been using for 25,000 miles. I bought a pair of JC Whitney spring shocks. They easily handle the load and gave my bike a much sportier feel. I must caution that they also provide a sport bike like ride. Much firmer than stock. If you like a firm, well controlled feel to your bike, these can be had for much less money.

·
Premium Member
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

Ive already got progressives on the bike however no matter how much I mess about with thepressure it still sends an allmighty whallop up mine and the missuses back everytime we go over a small bump.

So I can replace them with spring shocks then...thanks...£50 looks much better £350.

·
Premium Member
580 Posts
imported post

If you already have Progressive air shocks on your bike, you may want to check the oil in them. My friend had Progressives on his 1500 and they would not hold air. He found that they were dry in the air chambers. There must be a little oil in there to complete the seal. Check yours and/or contact Progressive for more help. These shocks should be able to do the job well. I just checked the JC Whitney site and they no longer list a spring shock for any Goldwing. Not everything is on their website, so maybe a Email or call is in order.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Progressive 416s, the air/spring shocks for the 1500 are available with three different spring strengths. If you don't specify you get the heaviest.

·
Premium Member
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

Thanks for the advice...I shall check it all out.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.