Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

I am thinking about new shocks for my 85 GL1200 interstate.
The price is better on Progressive 412's then the air type 416's. Since I ride single most of the time, would the 412's be OK ?

·
Premium Member
8,524 Posts
imported post

;)Me thinks you would get a much better response if you posted this in the General Motorcycle forum.

·
Premium Member
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
imported post

Thanks for that. I will try that location. This question came about because I ordered a used set of GL1200 shocks only too have then get lost in the USPS mail. I am so mad!!!!!!
Now I got too put up more money for another set, new or used.

·
Premium Member
20,611 Posts
imported post

Welcome to the Forum from Kansas!!! :waving:

I hope you find the Forum as informative and as much fun as we do!!:cooldevil:

Again, Welcome Aboard!! :action:

·
I am the Hobo
9,690 Posts
imported post

welcome to the forum Gerry post this question in the tech.section and you will get the information faster.

·
Premium Member
4,472 Posts
imported post

Welcome Aboard!:waving:

·
Pops
4,519 Posts
imported post

Hello and welcome from Arizona.

·
Premium Member
92 Posts
imported post

Hi,
Welcome to the site. This is a great resource. No matter what goes on with your wing someone has been there already and can usually help out.
Now as far as rear shocks go. If your 1200 has saddle bags then it is difficult to adjust the non air version of progressive shocks. You will have to unbolt the bags every time to adjust them. That is why the air version is generally the one that is recommended. As far as used shocks go I personally do not recommend going that route. The reason being that the springs tend to sag over the years. That is usually the problem and it is not a matter of mileage it is of age.
Good luck,
Greg

·
Premium Member
732 Posts
imported post

GerryAllan wrote:
I am thinking about new shocks for my 85 GL1200 interstate.
The option I took on my '87 Aspencade was to rebuid the stock Hondarear shock housings using Progressive Suspension springs and hydraulic damper units (shock absorbers).

This has the particular advantage of allowing you to keep all of your stock air suspension plumbing (fittings and hoses) which is easier and maintains the stock look of the bike.

There is a great set of step-by-step instructions on how to do this posted on http://www.GL1200Goldwings.com in the Suspension sub-forum. You can go there and search for it. (FYI, that site has been having some problems in the past few days. It's been up sometimes and down at others, so have some patience with it.)

·
Gregarious Greeter
16,809 Posts
imported post

Welcome from the state of Pennsylvania!

·
Premium Member
14,148 Posts
imported post

:waving: :waving: :waving: :waving: :waving: :waving: :waving: :waving:

Hello from Virginia,

Welcome Aboard!!!!!