Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,801 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I have seen the add-on rear speakers with fader by show chrome. I have the odd-ball 91 Interstate Kenwood radio w/ no rear speakers. I've taken apart the tank cover and found the amp under there. It only has a pair of speaker outputs, not 4. Does the Showchrome one just plug into the back of the Aspy radio? I am looking for one that takes a 2 spkr input and give 4 spkr output. It should have about 12 wires on it to do so, not one plug. Thanks in advance...

Bill

·
Monkey with a Football
19,237 Posts
imported post

To my knowledge, none of the 1500 radios have more than a single left and right channel output.

The fader creates the other two and provides some resistance to prevent overloading the amp with the lower impedance of the extra speaker on each side in parallel.

That means all of the wattage of the amp has to travel through the wirewound fader control.

Since the amp has more output than the fader control is rated at, the fader gets hot and is prone to failure.

It is a fairly cheesy way to get to 4 speakers from 2 outputs. But it works... kinda.

There are better ways to do what gets done here but it isn't cheap and it isn't plug in.

·
Premium Member
53 Posts
imported post

Join the club. I've been trying to figure out how to do this on my 91 as well. Would like to have them back there so as to not have to blastthrough the front onesso loud when riding so the wife can hear. I have also been trying to find a way to add a set of jacks so I could put headsets in the helmets to hear directly. I know that would make the group I ride with happy to not here my music blairing. Especially since I've added a XM radio to it a few weeks back. If I here or find anything out I'll let you know.

Cal

·
Premium Member
2,801 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

Rudy wrote:
To my knowledge, none of the 1500 radios have more than a single left and right channel output.

The fader creates the other two and provides some resistance to prevent overloading the amp with the lower impedance of the extra speaker on each side in parallel.

That means all of the wattage of the amp has to travel through the wirewound fader control.

Since the amp has more output than the fader control is rated at, the fader gets hot and is prone to failure.

It is a fairly cheesy way to get to 4 speakers from 2 outputs. But it works... kinda.

There are better ways to do what gets done here but it isn't cheap and it isn't plug in.
I am all ears about the other ways to do it. Could I mount the fader to a heatsink? I also thought about one of those cheap powered EQ's, they typically have a fader and take two inputs and give four outputs like this one: http://www.amazon.com/Metra-AT-350E-Equalizer-Stereo-Amplifier/dp/B000VR5YEY. It is small enough to maybe fit in the left front pocket with the tuner. I also was going to run the speakers in series but I didnt know if I would like them being exactly 50/50 and no way to control them. I am open to whatever works. I have done professional car audio sales and installation for over 20 years, so I can make whatever happen, just curious as to what most have done. Thanks...

Bill

·
Premium Member
2,801 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

Cal wrote:
Join the club. I've been trying to figure out how to do this on my 91 as well. Would like to have them back there so as to not have to blastthrough the front onesso loud when riding so the wife can hear. I have also been trying to find a way to add a set of jacks so I could put headsets in the helmets to hear directly. I know that would make the group I ride with happy to not here my music blairing. Especially since I've added a XM radio to it a few weeks back. If I here or find anything out I'll let you know.

Cal
Kewl,

I'll keep looking too. What I think needs to happen is find a 20 watt fader. The amp says 20w x 2, so this should be all we need.

Bill

·
Monkey with a Football
19,237 Posts
imported post

A 20 watt fader control would solve the problem.

I prefer to do my fading at line level rather than speaker level.
The speaker input type equalizers introduce so much white noise hiss that they aren't worth using IMO.

In my system, I treated it like a modular amplifier system. First task was to get the best speaker to line converters I could find. Then once at line level use a 7 to 10 band equalizer/fader/subwoofer 2 to 4 channel output. Then cram the 4 line level outputs into a 4 channel 100w/channel RMS amp and then on to high capacity speakers through beefier wiring. (sub amp and woofer optional)

This gives the most output with the least changes to the stock system both in wiring and in features.

Make sure you have the charging system to push it with.

With all your years in car audio, you should have no problems with it.

·
Premium Member
2,801 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

That could be done, but where do you install everything so it wont get wet? I can see a larger amplifier drawing moisture when it's going through it hot/cool cycle. Definitely the line level fader would be much cleaner. Most of the small (physical size) 4 channel amps out there are pretty poor quality. To get anything of decent sound, the amp has a pretty big footprint. I have some LOC's (line out convertors) by PAC (they're about the best IMO). I could add my Ipod in at that time too, as most have a line in and an aux in. What's the stock output of the GL's alternator? I'm guessing the EQ at around 2-3 amps and a decent 4ch amplifier at around 10 amps.

·
Monkey with a Football
19,237 Posts
imported post

da_bull wrote:
That could be done, but where do you install everything so it wont get wet? I can see a larger amplifier drawing moisture when it's going through it hot/cool cycle. Definitely the line level fader would be much cleaner. Most of the small (physical size) 4 channel amps out there are pretty poor quality. To get anything of decent sound, the amp has a pretty big footprint. I have some LOC's (line out convertors) by PAC (they're about the best IMO). I could add my Ipod in at that time too, as most have a line in and an aux in. What's the stock output of the GL's alternator? I'm guessing the EQ at around 2-3 amps and a decent 4ch amplifier at around 10 amps.
I use marine grade amps and they are water tight.
Everything goes in the boot.
The stock alt puts out 35 amps max total.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.