Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Like a lot of GL1800 riders, I occasionally yearn to make minor adjustments to the rear shock while on the fly. Has anyone discovered a way to disconnect the appropriate leads to the speedo and neutral switch, negating the need to come to a complete stop before adjusting the shock?

If so, I'd love to hear about it.

Ride Safe

Paul

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
imported post

Nope, cannot help you with this one. Makes my brain hurt just to troubleshoot what is normal let alone try to redesign something.

I do not know why it is not adjustable on the fly. Have thought about that a couple times, do not think it would be a safety issue, must be a reason for it, but I do not know what it is.

Kit

·
Administrator
26,181 Posts
imported post

I studied this and I don't think it can be done by mere humans. The ECU for the suspension is inside the instrument cluster and receives signals from the speed sensor, neutral switch and reverse system internally, there are no external wires that can be disconnected without also loosing the speedometer, neutral and reverse lights. Dang it!!!!!!!!

·
Premium Member
34 Posts
imported post

OK....gotta ask...is there a way to accomplish this on the 1500 as well??

Thanks,
Joe

·
Senior Guru
4,293 Posts
imported post

I think if you intercept any one of the 3 wires coming out of speed sensor on speedo, and run it to a quality switch, that will do the trick. Flip the switch, adjust suspension, and flip the switch back, so the cruise, sound adjust, signal cancel, etc will continue to work. I've not done it myself, but I think I read somewhere that it works. Makes sense to me. Study the wiring schematic before attempting.

·
Administrator
26,181 Posts
imported post

All you would have to do on a 1500 is ground the green/yellow wire from the air pump relay.

·
Senior Guru
4,293 Posts
imported post

I think someone tried that, and it wouldn't deflate, only go higher. But, my memory may not be serving me faithfully.

·
Administrator
26,181 Posts
imported post

I'll study that some more but it's the only thing that actually connects the suspension control to the speed signal that I saw on the schematic.

·
Senior Guru
4,293 Posts
imported post

If'n I remember correctly, the little ecu that figures out what's going on (by receiving inputs from control switches, pressure sensor, and inputs from the speedo sensor), that ecu is inside the instrument, residing right along with the LCD. So, it outputs to relays, and solenoid coils. It's one of those things that I was going to modify, but never did.

I did fix my LTD, so it would work at any speed. That involved the speedo signal, but I can't remember just what I did. It did work up to about 10mph, but I didn't care for that. It was involving the wiring to the ecu on the right side, under pocket. I'm bad about documenting what I do. I come back to something I did a cpl. years ago, and can hardly figure it out!!! :cheeky1: :cheeky1: :shock:

You ought to have seen some of the log processors I did, on a multitude of machines. Both stroke, and danglehead processors and delimbers. Many, many different "tricks" to fool the oem hydraulics and electronics. The wiring ended up looking like a Cobra helicoptor loom. And, I had to really scratch my wooden head to figure out what I did, when I put it together. :?

·
Administrator
26,181 Posts
imported post

JoeB27 wrote:
OK....gotta ask...is there a way to accomplish this on the 1500 as well??

Thanks,
Joe
The air pump relay is grounded by the LCD unit in the instrument panel when the bike is stopped, in neutral. That is the only thing that keeps it from not working at speed. If you take the green/yellow wire out of the black 14 pin connector under the left fairing pocket and ground it, with a switch if preferred the suspension should adjust at speed.
That's my story and I'm stickin' to it, until proven wrong.:)

·
Senior Guru
4,293 Posts
imported post

You could very right, but it seems to me that I tried getting up to a bit of speed in 2nd, then kicking er to neutral, and it didn't work. That's my story, but I'm not sticking to it. I just don't remember what exactly I pursued. ;)

·
Administrator
26,181 Posts
imported post

It should not have to be in neutral to work with this mod. Grounding that wire bypasses any input to the system and should make it totally independent.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.