Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Do not have my manual yet, and need to field this question to you all...

1. Rear Suspension Air Pressure: 1) What psi should I havefor

a) single rider @220lbs, and

b) [email protected] lbs.

The GL1100 is a standard wing without a front fairing...not that it makes a huge weight difference.

Thanks RudeMan

·
Premium Member
1,028 Posts
imported post

The maximum air pressure for an 1980-81 gl1100 is 46psi, and 57psi for an 82-83. There's no hard and fast rules for different rider weights, most people adjust it for firmness without having the rear end banging.

·
Premium Member
111 Posts
imported post

here from a post about shocks some time ago

Something else I have learn from the [highlight= #88ffff]shocks[/highlight] is what they said about setting the air pressure for the [highlight= #88ffff]shocks[/highlight], which made a lot of sense to me. They say measure the distance from the upper frame to the rear axle with the bike on the center stand. Put the bike on the ground and all the weight you would normally have when riding. Then take measurement from the first points you measure again. Itshouldn't change any more the 1 1/2 inches. Adjust the air pressure to meet this.

These new shock told me air pressure can be set from "0" to "70" without hurting the [highlight= #88ffff]shocks[/highlight]. (these are new and not Honda factory [highlight= #88ffff]shocks[/highlight], maybe you shouldn't do this with Honda's [highlight= #88ffff]shocks[/highlight]??)

·
Premium Member
1,871 Posts
imported post

With mine...tour loaded (I'm 225 and What's her name is 110) I run at 38psi. Also, I run Progressive which is a little stiffer than stock

Attachments

·
Other side of the pond
3,409 Posts
imported post

38psi sounds very low Kyle. Does the bike not bottom out easily even with the Progressives?

·
Premium Member
1,871 Posts
imported post

Englishted;

As smooth a ride as an 82 will get. As for bottoming out...only if I hit an abrupt bump such as a pot hole or a sharp surface break at a good clip. If I'm ridding some rougher road, I will jack them up a few more pounds, but on those smooth Americantwo lane blacktop, and Interstates, she's smooth. (as far as an 82 will get)

Kyle

No fun if you can't feel the road.

·
The Irish Crew
3,932 Posts
imported post

I set my 1100 to about 35psi sole on long good roads, or 45 with a pillion and saddlebags full of junk. Around town I set it at 40-45 solo to try and handle the inconsistent city roads.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.