Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hi everyone.
Well took my 2010 gw up to maxim in Arlington and they took off the rear tire,put it in water tub and found no leaks. Yet a month will go by sometimes 2 weeks and the tpms will come on. Air pressure will be like 35 instead of 41...I air it up and the cycle repeats...
So Unless this is the matrix, and I am in some funky Dreamworld I am not sure what is going on.
Tire is brand new, there are no nails or leaks

I never had this prob wth my 1500 or my 1200. Although there was a trick that these haters would do back in Florida. What they would is lean a nail at an angle against your back tire. So that when you were leaving the dinner bar or where ever you would back over a nail and that was that. I was fortunate to catch someone trying that on me. Turns out that there was a group of Harley riders doing that. So I now check under my tires before I leave...apparently there is a lot of hate in the harely riders ..-I know that when I wave at them they don't wave back-. I even stopped one guy from trying to kick my 1200
Over- this skinny guy covered in tattoos and wearing a leather vest,smoking a cancer stick just walked up and put his boot on my seat and was about to kick it over as I was coming out of the BBQ place and I asked him to stop and the unwashed disgusticon walked away quickly got on his chopper and bailed.

This thing that is going on with my rear tire though, I have no answer.for. .so What the frak ...????

·
Premium Member
720 Posts
imported post

You can't use sealant in the tyres because of the TPMS, otherwise that would be the answer. If the tyre still has a lot of thread left, get a tyre fitter to break the bead and brush some of that black tyre sealer around the bead.

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,200 Posts
imported post

IMO, the TPMS is the cause of the leak.

Take it off, and put on a standard valve stem cap...

Monitor that for a few weeks and see if the leak has disappeared

·
Premium Member
12,790 Posts
imported post

IS your TPMS a valve stem mounted system or is it an internal mounted system ? I would have thought if its a factory installed it would be internal mounted.

·
Gregarious Greeter
16,809 Posts
imported post

Most tires that sit for 2 weeks to a month will lose some air pressure.

Rubber is not totally impervious and will leak some air.

Leaving a bike sit that long between heat and cooling cycles of riding, it does not suprise me at the loss of air pressure.

·
Premium Member
3,303 Posts
imported post

I guess those Harley riders don't like 'real American made' bikes like the 77-2009 Goldwings up there. After all is said and done, their bikes are all made in China with some components from Japan, they are only assembled in Milwaukee!

·
Premium Member
1,317 Posts
imported post

I had the same situation with my front tire. It was a crack in the valve stem rubber. For whatever reason, it wouldn't lose pressure if I rode every day, but would go flat in a week if it sat. Submersing it showed nothing until I wiggled the stem while it was under water.

·
Premium Member
63 Posts
imported post

I don't have TPMS, and my present Wing is an 07. The rubber valve stems on the 1800 wheels are a known weak point. They can crack due to centrifugal force and leak while spinning, yet NOT leak while at rest. Try wiggling the stem to see if it leaks, preferably while submerged or at least wet via a spray bottle.

·
Administrator
26,570 Posts
imported post

The TPMS that came on the 09> goldwings is inside the wheel and has a metal stem. It could be the source of the leak or there may be nothing wrong. As temperatures change so does tire pressure and they all will leak some. I usually have to add air to mine once a week but if the temperature rises substantially the pressure will be more than it was before. If the weather cools off, more pressure is lost.

·
Vintage Rider
2,410 Posts
imported post

First of all, I don't know of any Harley riders like that around here, and I know several. The Goldwing was also just ASSEMBLED here, from Japanese parts. I'm sure the new ones (both Harley and Goldwing) have Chinese parts, a new Mercedes does.

As for the tire, I agree, check the valve stem. I don't know what kind of valve stems the 1800 has, but my preference by far is plain old rubber pull through valve stems, replaced when you replace the tire. When I mounted my existing tire on a different wheel, I got the valve stem from Autozone. The '85 uses common valve stems. If they will work on the 1800, that is what I recommend. I absolutely do not recommend metal valve stems with a nut and rubber washers. Never saw one of those that didn't leak.

If there had been a leak, it would have shown up by putting it under water. Even the tiniest leak will show up. The fact that they didn't find anything is another indication it is probably the valve stem, or the pressure measuring things if they are the type that just screw onto a normal valve stem. Tires do lose air over a period of time, but not 6 psig in 2 weeks.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

I had a wheel on a car once that lost air. Couldn't find the leak but was told by a mechanic that some aluminum or mag wheels had pores in the metal that could leak. I sprayed the inside of the wheel after masking off the bead area with epoxy primer and never had a leak again in that wheel.

BTW the Goldwings built in Marysville, OH were made mostlyof American and Canadian built parts. There are of course Asian parts on them as there are on Harleys.

·
Premium Member
276 Posts
imported post

No one has mentioned using nitrogen.
I'm guessing that that may help, if not resolve the leak issue.

·
Premium Member
1,137 Posts
imported post

Get some kids bubble liquid sold in any toy store. Then pour some around your valve stem, wiggle the stem & I bet you will find your leak. The force of a spinning wheel will distort the stem just enough to allow it to leak while underway....-Rich

·
Premium Member
1,250 Posts
imported post

To find leak, any liquid soap will work. aka dish soap.

·
Premium Member
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
imported post

Thanks for all the info.
Im going to try a few of those suggestions-

And seriously. I dont understand it. But Harley guys dont care for Wings. When I ride, I wave at em and they wont wave back. They have a lot of love for their machines but I had a friend with a brand new Harley and I was constantly being asked to ride it up to the shop cuz he had to work weekends... something was constantly breaking on it. Someday I may understand why they hate us so much.

I say we're all just people and all the bikes are good...

·
Premium Member
4,212 Posts
imported post

It's simple. . .

hardley ridersR jealous

1.) they break down, we don't

2.) our parts come from the same places, they get the inferior ones :)

3.) ( add yours here )

·
Premium Member
616 Posts
imported post

DaveW wrote:
Nitrogen is mainly found in the atmosphere, where it accounts for 78 % by volume of the air we breath. Using pure nitrogen in tires is a gimmick. Simply put, it provides zero benefit to the average consumer. It's use in aircraft is due to it's non flammability/inertness... a non-issue for us motorcyclists. All tires leak a little, but some more than others. An interesting thing I read is about corrosion pitting on aluminum rims where the tirebeads contact the rim. Apparently the lubricants used to help slip tires on/off rims during installation & removal corrode aluminum. If you don't have a perfectly smooth surface you can have leakage there. Some guys have said they've actually dressed out the pitting and repaired the area using a thin coat of epoxy.

·
Premium Member
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
imported post

OK took my bike Down fire stone this morning. Put it on the center stand and we found a tiny nail right in the middle tread. They can not work on motorcycle tires but they marked the tire for me ... I called and tgdy said to bring it up there. Well that's a whole work week I can't ride. My w-eekend is Tues wed- I am going to contact the owner and ask them why I am getting the run around.
But I am sure I was right all along. Some hapless ×÷π√€| decided to lean a nail against my tire for kicks I guess. Its right in the middle of the tread ..so I guess I have to check my tires to see if someone leaned a nail against the tire.:X

·
Premium Member
10,253 Posts
imported post

One might think that it was purposely done, but from driving and riding the freeways in and around several cities in Texas, I personally have picked up everything from thumb tacks, roofing nails, and a couple of 16 penny nails, even had a 3/8 inch bolt 6 inches long stuck in one of my car tires.......Forget about the Harley riders and ride your ride....I personally don't give a fiddlers you what about what brand of motorcycle you ride....Just know that I'm going to be the one that sees you setting on the side of the road broken down, that will stop and offer my help....

On your tire don't let them try to plug it or patch it, get a new one....

·
Premium Member
537 Posts
imported post

DaveW wrote:
air in the tire is already 54 percent nitrogren now. at what percentage do you recommend.

You can plug a motorcycle tire if it is done properly. dunlop approves the plug patch when done from the inside of tire when dismounted

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.