Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

how much should the rear tire spin while off the ground? Just trying to find out if i have unusual brake drag or not. i have all my bags off and can spin it pretty good and doesn't make a full rotation.

What say you?

yes, it is in neutral :cool:

·
Premium Member
2,848 Posts
imported post

Take a hammer and a hunk of 2x 2 wood and whack the caliper a couple of times. If it starts spinning better then you know you need to investigate.

·
Guru
3,074 Posts
imported post

Yup, brake drag is a comman problem. Check for tire rub to rule that out as well. Your turning a few gears & a shaft so you will have a little resistance but not much. you should be able to roll that tire with 1 finger!

·
Premium Member
47 Posts
imported post

When i have my 08 on the center stand, I spin the rear tire and it starts dragging after about a half rotation. Is there an adjustment to keep it from doing that?

·
Guru
3,074 Posts
imported post

No adjustment. You must ensure that your brakes dont drag, Your rotor is not warped & your tire does not contact the frame during its full revolution.

Check the gear oil level in your rear hub, I change mine every fall.

If you pull your rear tire, you must grease the splines in the rear hub with molly 60 grease, nothing else!

·
Administrator
26,336 Posts
imported post

No splines on an 1800 hatchetman.

·
Guru
3,074 Posts
imported post

Does an 1800 not have a final drive like the older bikes???:baffled:

·
Administrator
26,336 Posts
imported post

Yes it does but it has a single side swing arm and the wheel bolts to it like a car instead of slipping onto a spline and having an axle through it.

·
Premium Member
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

hatchetman wrote:
Yup, brake drag is a comman problem. Check for tire rub to rule that out as well. Your turning a few gears & a shaft so you will have a little resistance but not much. you should be able to roll that tire with 1 finger!
the tire will not roll with one finger. as is said i spin it as hard as i can and it does not make one rotation.

Well i have everything off the back now, fender, lights, bags, etc. so it would be a time to do this.

assuming fresh gear oil...if the brake is dragging then caliper rebuild or warped rotor would be it?

·
Banned
7,545 Posts
imported post

everytime I remove/replace a wheel I have to make sure it does move freely , sometimes I have to "spread the forks a little ,sometimes I have to give them a whack on one side or the other , I would take it loose and re-tighten everything on the rear , you will figure it out.

·
Guru
3,074 Posts
imported post

if your brakes are dragging you should be able to hear them rubbing & I think you might be able to see the pads now with some stuff out of the way.

If your caliper isnt hooped, it might just need cleaning where the pads slide on the caliper housing. The pads will not retract far away from the rotor, but the pressure from a brake application should drop to zero when the brake is released.

·
Premium Member
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
imported post

hatchetman wrote:
if your brakes are dragging you should be able to hear them rubbing & I think you might be able to see the pads now with some stuff out of the way.

If your caliper isnt hooped, it might just need cleaning where the pads slide on the caliper housing. The pads will not retract far away from the rotor, but the pressure from a brake application should drop to zero when the brake is released.
well got home and tried pulling my brake off and guess what? i guess i got a little drag because i can't get the brake off...it is so tight on the rotor.

what you think? any way it will relax at all withoutit being rebuilt? looks like the pads need replacing too.

thanks.

·
Banned
7,545 Posts
imported post

Is you brake pedal moving freely? No rust?These will get real hard to move , use some penetrating oil and work it up and down till it frees up.

·
Premium Member
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
imported post

picasso wrote:
Is you brake pedal moving freely? No rust?These will get real hard to move , use some penetrating oil and work it up and down till it frees up.
brake pedal is moving fine. brake works just is draggin. I got the brake off. I guess i will clean the pistons real good and push them in put new pad on and see if that frees it up.

do you think this will help or will it still bind? that is the question.

·
Premium Member
82 Posts
imported post

Wild Turkey wrote:
When i have my 08 on the center stand, I spin the rear tire and it starts dragging after about a half rotation. Is there an adjustment to keep it from doing that?
My '08 does exactly the same thing. I have also noticed that I can't spin it more than one revolution before a ride. However after a ride I can spin it a couple of revolutions. I guess there is less drag after everything warms and loosens up. However I can hear the pads dragging in either case. I used to obsess about it but the roter is never hot so I don't worry much about it.

·
Guru
3,074 Posts
imported post

clean the piston. there might be a ring of corrosion behind it not letting it retract. that should fix your problem! you can blow it out gently with compressed air.

·
Premium Member
82 Posts
imported post

hatchetman wrote:
clean the piston. there might be a ring of corrosion behind it not letting it retract. that should fix your problem! you can blow it out gently with compressed air.
Thanks for the advice. I may try that. There may be something else there but I hope it isn't corrosion as the bike is only 2 months off the showroom floor.

·
Guru
3,074 Posts
imported post

Hey Red Ron, Is your wing under warranty?? If it is, Have your dealer deal with your drag issue, It should be their bill if you just bought it!

·
Premium Member
47 Posts
imported post

I didn't think about trying it after i ride for awhile. My abs break lite stays on until i roll about 6 feet infirst gear. I wonder if that is the problem. I am taking in for service next week and tell them about it and see what they find out. It appears maybe that the brake doesn't release all the way until you take off.

·
Premium Member
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
imported post

hatchetman wrote:
well, it seemed to work. cleaned the piston, new pads and the tire is spinning much better than it was. now lets see if it helps the gas mileage.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.