Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hi gang, newbie here - I have an 83 GL1100 - the rear tire will probably need to be replaced by next season - it has a Dunlop MU90HB16 on it. My question is: can I replace this with an 140/90H16? Is there any other size that wuill work? THX in advance! :)

·
Premium Member
4,948 Posts
imported post

Welcome to the best board around!! You'll find lots of good info. and nice people to deal with here.:clapper::waving::byebye::cooler:

I'm running a 140/90HB16 Venom X on the back of my '83 Interstate and a 120/90-18 Venom X on the front. I absolutely love the way my bike handles.

As far as changing sizes, why would you want to? It's myunderstanding that you could have clearance problems if you do.

What are you running on the front of your bike? I've heard it argued both ways about mixing tire brands. Some say it's dangerous, some say it doesn't hurt anything at all. Go figure.

Regards,

Hobie

·
Premium Member
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

I have a Metzeler on the frt with no probs - then again I don't "push the envelope", I just putt around - :p--------so I can replace the MU90HB16 with an 140/90H16, they are the same then?

·
Premium Member
4,948 Posts
imported post

I think so but let's wait and see what some of the others have to say. OK? I definately don't want to give you bad info. That defeats the purpose of this board. Be patient. Someone else will be along shortly.

Regards,

Hobie

·
Premium Member
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

I have all winter, no worries.. :leprechaun:

·
Premium Member
1,191 Posts
imported post

..... after  wearing a raised letter , oversize tire , on my SilverWing... it fit , barely, but  it  used to drag , until about half the raised letters were worn off/forums/images/emoticons/tongue.gif.... I have a new philosophy of tires... Find a tire expert .. usually one of the brand bike  dealers in your area will have set himself up as an expert..his reception area has lots ,and lots of tires/forums/images/emoticons/shock.gif...  (there are two like this in the Vancouver  area ) and ask him point blank if he has ever put a 140/90 on an 1100 ???/forums/images/emoticons/cool.gif        If not ... go with the recommended by Honda siz/forums/images/emoticons/confused.gife.... You do not want tire "experiments" being done on your Bike/forums/images/emoticons/mad.gif... and the amount of tread increase is minimal ...  People do play these Tire games on really hot  Sport bikes...  .... which neither you , nor I own ... SilverDave /forums/images/emoticons/emoticonsxtra/cooldj.gif

·
Premium Member
4,948 Posts
imported post

The 140/90-16 is what the OEM manual for an 83 indicates.A 120/90-18 is indicated for the front. I'm currently running those sizes with no problems.

Hobie

·
Premium Member
805 Posts
imported post

Yes, a 140 and an MU are the same size.

Some tire manufacturers are generous and some are less than generous in the tire size measurement. If you stick with the Dunlop you shouldn't have any problems.

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
imported post

Just put a 140/90/16 Dunlop on the rear of my 83 Interstate,tight fit on the sidewalls but no rub.Rides way better now!

·
Premium Member
137 Posts
imported post

Hobie1 wrote:
The 140/90-16 is what the OEM manual for an 83 indicates.A 120/90-18 is indicated for the front. I'm currently running those sizes with no problems.

Hobie
I just changed my rear tire not long ago and it was a 140/90-16 Spitfire Bridgestone...:goofygrin:So far it handles great!

·
Premium Member
419 Posts
imported post

I had Avons on my 1100 years ago. Elans and I think they were 130s, terrible in the wet so I went back to Dunlops.

·
Premium Member
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
imported post

THX for all the replies - and whats up with the "yellow" here? I have an uncontrollable urge for lemonade right now..

·
Premium Member
3,938 Posts
imported post

Yellow is "Bright and Cheerful" like our friend and "Welcomer" "RedWing", we like it !:clapper:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.