Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I have a shinko tour master tire on the rear of my LTD with about 8000 on it now. Was checking the bike over while up on the center stand and noticed that while turning the tire, on one side, the tire was down to the wear bars and on the other side it doesn't look that warn at all, no were near the way bars yet. What would cause this?

The tire rides nice and smooth. This tire has regular wheel weights on the rim, I don't have the dynabeads in this tire.

·
Premium Member
3,857 Posts
imported post

I don't know about your unusual wear issue, but, it is common for people to make more aggressive right turns than left. Is it the right side that is more worn by chance? I'm guessing yes.

Now that you've got well-done forks, I'm expecting you to wear the sides a little more than you have been.

;)

·
Premium Member
6,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

No, left to right side still looks good. Looking at the roundness of tire like a clock, noon position looks good, 6 o clock position is down to the wear bars. Like it.s out of round, but it rides as smooth as smooth could be.

·
Premium Member
1,851 Posts
imported post

I`ve notice dthe same thing. Must just be the way the tires are made. Probabaly new tire again soon.
Tom Bishop

·
Premium Member
1,851 Posts
imported post

I`ve notice dthe same thing. Must just be the way the tires are made. Probabaly new tire again soon.
Tom Bishop

·
Premium Member
6,319 Posts
imported post

I've notice that on other tires sometimes also.
Cars and trucks etc..

Almost like they put more tread on one half the tire and less on the other half. Just depends which half the tire is showing rather it has tread or near bald.
I don't know why though, not a problem with my vehicles or balance either, just the tires do it sometimes it seems.

·
Premium Member
6,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

Paulz88GL1500 wrote:
Could be from the crown in the road if you ride on the right side of the lane.  My two cents...
It's not right or left as your looking at the tire, it's top and bottom. As I spin the tire there is different tread depth.

I don't have my depth gauge here or I would post readings. I'll do that when I get home.......... Next week.

·
Premium Member
689 Posts
imported post

tires wearing unevenly, on cars etc, is caused by bad wheel alignment,

cant say I have seen uneven wear on a wing, is there any chance that the wheel is moving slightly when under power? loose lock nuts, shims missing, etc. just a guess sorry.

Might be worth having a chat with a bike mechanic.

good luck,

·
Premium Member
3,857 Posts
imported post

It's because of your burnouts and slides that you do while showing off for the girls.

·
Premium Member
6,319 Posts
imported post

rgbeard wrote:
It's because of your burnouts and slides that you do while showing off for the girls.
Hmm, your on to something there LOL

Burnouts don't count as that would wear the tire all the way around evenly, but now locking the brakes and sliding would wear off just the bottom.

·
Premium Member
6,319 Posts
imported post

oldishwinger wrote:
That would be the sides, left or right getting chewed off.

He said it's the top/bottom not wearing the same AROUND the tire.

I have seen this on other tires.

Matter of fact I think the rear tire I took off my 1100 last year was smooth about 1/4 way AROUND the tire and still had some tread the other 3/4 of the tire.

So depending how I would park the 1100 on that tire, it was bald all the way across, or it had tread all the way across.

·
Premium Member
6,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
imported post

rgbeard wrote:
Shhhhh........:ssshh::ssshh:

That was our secret........

·
Premium Member
6,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
imported post

oldishwinger wrote:

cant say I have seen uneven wear on a wing, is there any chance that the wheel is moving slightly when under power? loose lock nuts, shims missing, etc. just a guess sorry.

Might be worth having a chat with a bike mechanic.

good luck,
I talked to my mechanic.............

I said that wasn't it, all is good with the alignment.......

·
Administrator
26,168 Posts
imported post

I am having a hard time picturing what you mean by top and bottom. The tread that is on top now will be on the bottom when the tire makes 1/2 revolution.

·
Premium Member
6,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
imported post

DaveO430 wrote:
I am having a hard time picturing what you mean by top and bottom. The tread that is on top now will be on the bottom when the tire makes 1/2 revolution.
The tire suppose to turn:shock::shock::shock:

·
Administrator
26,168 Posts
imported post

After further thought I think I figured out what you mean. 1/2 the circumference of the tire is worn out while the other 1/2 is not. Correct? Could be from out of balance or just shoddy quality control on the tire, which I would not be surprised by the latter.

·
Premium Member
6,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
imported post

Yes, correct.

It has to be in the manufacturing, The tire still rides smooth and I travel at speed on the highway of 70 a 75, and once in a while catch myself doing 80 -85, but only for a short time, I don't like going that fast on two wheels, but it's smooth, no out of balance feeling at all.

And the tire looks good as far as the side walls, the left and right side of the treat, even the center looks good as far as flatness. Actually, thats what caught my eye, the tire looked like it was getting a flatness to it, instead of being a rounded profile, it would round into a flat spot where the tire meets the road. I ride straight up more than I do twists or corners, so not surprising, but then I really looked at it.

I'll take some pictures tomorrow in the daylight. I wish I had my tire tread gauge with me but I don't. I would say it's about 3/32 difference from one side of the tire to the other.

·
Premium Member
6,319 Posts
imported post

Maybe you could use a penny, show how far Lincolns head is away from the tread on one 1/2 and how close on the other.

·
Premium Member
6,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
imported post

Good idea, I'll do that tomorrow.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.