Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Can anyone tell me what thewidest 17 inch rear tire would be that will fit on a 78 Wing? Thanks aheadfor and all help, George;

·
Other side of the pond
3,409 Posts
imported post

Rimwidth 4.50 inches, rim diameter 17 inches, tirewidth 120 mm, tireheight 90 mm. The rims of the GL1000 are suited only for bias-ply, tubeless tires. Radial tires can cause unexpected behaviour, the rims were not designed to support these type of tires.

·
Senior Guru
2,234 Posts
imported post

englishted, or anybody else here,help me understand why we cannot use radial tires on our Wings that were originally equipped with bias ply tires.

I talked to Dunlop about this very subject and they told me that I'd have to speak with Honda. Don't know who to talk to at Honda.

It would seem to me that if they quoted what the differences are, we could update our Wings to accomodate the radial tires which would further enhance performance and mileage.

I have no reservations about cutting and rewelding my Wing's frame and/or adding gussets if necessary or about changing the rake and trail on my bike if necessary.

All I'd like to know is specifically and exactly what differences there are between a radial tired frame/suspension and a bias tired frame/suspension and I'll take it from there.

Vic

·
Premium Member
1,028 Posts
imported post

It's all down to the rims. Only the gl1800 rims officially support radials, all the older Wings including the gl1500 are supposed to havebias plytyres. I don't think the suspension has a bearing on this at all, just the wheels. Of course someone will probably prove me wrong in a later post!. Happy Christmas. :waving:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.