Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I just installed a new wrap around windshield on my 81 Interstate; it really is a good addition. One small problem is the right side rear view mirror, which are mounted on the handle bars; the mirror hits the windshield when turned full to the left. No way to adjust the mirror to miss the shield and still be able to see behind me. Is there after market mirrors that have a different angle or instal in a better location?
 

·
The Irish Crew
Joined
·
3,932 Posts
imported post

Why not get a set of the mirros that mount on the fairing? I thought all USA GL1100s had these and opnly the UK ones got those horrible handlebar ones.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

I'm not sure if I have a US or UK, but I know I don't like the mirrors. Have you seen any fairing mounted after market mirrors?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
6,183 Posts
imported post

I have a problem with my wrap around windshield too. And my mirrors are mounted in the normal place on the fairing.

When I crank the bars all the way to the left, the windshield presses down the brake lever, which locks up the front wheel. Tough making sharp left manuevers in a parking lot!

Raymond
 

·
Postpubescent member
Joined
·
36,382 Posts
imported post

You might try lowering your handlebars a little, depending on how much it would take to clear. My bike's clutch master cylinder was marring the windshield when I got the bike, lowering the handlebar made the bike more comfortable for me and the master didn't touch the windshield anymore.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,079 Posts
imported post

Speaking of mirrors, I am looking at buying a set of the aftermarket ones that are styled like the original honda mirrors. (trapozoid shaped) The ones I have on now are rectange and don't stay in place. I have the aftermarket wrap-around windshield on. With the OEM replacement mirrors is there any interference with the wrap-around shield? If any one knows, please relay the info so that I can make the right choice in a set of mirrors.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
702 Posts
imported post

exavid wrote:
You might try lowering your handlebars a little, depending on how much it would take to clear. My bike's clutch master cylinder was marring the windshield when I got the bike, lowering the handlebar made the bike more comfortable for me and the master didn't touch the windshield anymore.
That's what I did - just brought the bars back a tad, fixed the windscreen hitting my clutch lever problem.

Jack
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
860 Posts
imported post

1984GL1200A wrote:
Speaking of mirrors, I am looking at buying a set of the aftermarket ones that are styled like the original honda mirrors. (trapozoid shaped) The ones I have on now are rectange and don't stay in place. I have the aftermarket wrap-around windshield on. With the OEM replacement mirrors is there any interference with the wrap-around shield? If any one knows, please relay the info so that I can make the right choice in a set of mirrors.
Did you try tightening up the screws on the underside of the mount? You need to remove the mirror from the fairing and look under the rubber pad. There should be a Philip's style screw there mounted on a spring to add tension so the mirror won't move around in the wind.

I tightened mine up and they haven't been blown around since!

Bob :11grey:
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,079 Posts
imported post

AZWinger wrote:
Did you try tightening up the screws on the underside of the mount?

I have not fiddled with trying to tighten them up. The fact of the matter is that I do not like the mirrors that are on the bike and want to go to the OEM style "trapazoid" shaped mirrors. My only thought is that they might interfere with my wrap around windshield. I was just wondering if anyone had this set up and knew of any problems with it. I wondered if the OEM mirrors will hit the windshield that wraps around?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
702 Posts
imported post

1984GL1200A wrote:
AZWinger wrote:
Did you try tightening up the screws on the underside of the mount?

I have not fiddled with trying to tighten them up. The fact of the matter is that I do not like the mirrors that are on the bike and want to go to the OEM style "trapazoid" shaped mirrors. My only thought is that they might interfere with my wrap around windshield. I was just wondering if anyone had this set up and knew of any problems with it. I wondered if the OEM mirrors will hit the windshield that wraps around?
Hi,

I put on one of the Slipstreamer large wraparound windscreens on my 83 1100 during winter, and there was no problem at all with the OEM fairing mirrors. The only trouble I had was that I tried to install the windscreen myself, and had to play "man with three hands" doing it. I managed to rest the left mirror on the windscreen just enough to cause some light circular scratching, which of course I didn't see until I was all done and on the bike. Heh, chaclk that one up to experience. :)

Anyway, no hitting, no vision blocked, et cetera.

Jack
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
imported post

do you have a photo of how and where these mirrors attach on the fairing?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
702 Posts
imported post

Tinman wrote:
do you have a photo of how and where these mirrors attach on the fairing?
Yep. Here are two shots. One (the brown one) is with the stock heighth/width wiindscreen. The blue photo is the same bike with the taller/wider Slipstreamer. I had to outline the windscreen in red so you could see it, and where it goes under the mirror.
 

Attachments

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,491 Posts
imported post

Silicon Sam wrote:
I have a problem with my wrap around windshield too. And my mirrors are mounted in the normal place on the fairing.

When I crank the bars all the way to the left, the windshield presses down the brake lever, which locks up the front wheel. Tough making sharp left manuevers in a parking lot!

Raymond
Raymond, I have (had)the same issue. I used a 3" drum sander in my die grinder & ground 2 depression is the windshield where the brake & clutch would hit the wrap around part of the wind screen. I can now turn the bars to each lock with my hands on the brake of clutch levers & still have a little clearance.

Twisty
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
imported post

Now I get it. What did you use to plug the "holes" left by the stock handlebar mirrors (if you had them)?



Thanks for the photos!
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
702 Posts
imported post

Tinman wrote:
Now I get it. What did you use to plug the "holes" left by the stock handlebar mirrors (if you had them)?



Thanks for the photos!
Well, my bike came with the fairing and mirrors installed, but I *do* have the mounting holes on the bar controls. The one on the left is simply plugged with a sort of rubber grommet, the one on the right has a large black screw in it (or seems to be a screw...didn't try to back it out). I don't think the screw on the right is actually functional, just seems to be a hole filler.

Jack
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
imported post

Thanks for all the help...this site has been a great help to me and my "new" (1981) Wing. Keep up the good work.

:waving:
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
612 Posts
imported post

Tinman wrote:
Thanks for all the help...this site has been a great help to me and my "new" (1981) Wing. Keep up the good work.

:waving:
Glad you got sorted out. The fairing mirrors are so much better than the handlebar ones, less vibrations, more glass area for better visibility and they just look better as well.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
759 Posts
imported post

IHAVE THE SAME BIKE AND PUT THE OLD BIKE BARN MIRRORS ON WHEN ONE OF MY OLD ONES GOT BROKE. THEY WORK GREAT. JUST REMEMBER TO TIGHTEN THE SCREW UP INSIDE THE MOUNTING TUBE SO THE MIRROR STAYES IN PLACE.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
702 Posts
imported post

goldwingnut wrote:
IHAVE THE SAME BIKE AND PUT THE OLD BIKE BARN MIRRORS ON WHEN ONE OF MY OLD ONES GOT BROKE. THEY WORK GREAT. JUST REMEMBER TO TIGHTEN THE SCREW UP INSIDE THE MOUNTING TUBE SO THE MIRROR STAYES IN PLACE.
Good advice. I've had my mirrors off a couple of times when switching out windscreens, and each time I ALWAYS forget to tighten that little screw! It's hell getting old. :)

Jack
 
1 - 20 of 26 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top