Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all :waving:

I was out on a little ride yesterday and noticed a vibration and hum from the rear end on right hand bends.

I am thinking rear wheal bearing but would welcome your thoughts.

I won't be able to do anything about it for a while but I will keep any info in mind for when I can get on with it.

Many thanks Paul

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts
It could be the tyre but the only way to ease your worries is to pull the wheel and check.

·
Premium Member
3,303 Posts
If it is the wheel it is probably wallowed out around the bearing. It can be repaired using a larger bearing at a machine shop, however it may well happen again. I have a spare wheel for the 1200. But I just replaced the entire rear end using a GL1500 wheel, diff. gear, rotor, spacer, and caliper mount. This now gives me a 1" larger wheel, 1.2" wider, and with double inner bearings set into a steel race, much stronger and the tires are more plentiful too, including the option of going 'darkside' in the future.

·
Premium Member
156 Posts
I had a similar problem on my '84 and it was just one of the wheel bearings. Picked up a new set, pressed them in and problem solved. Good luck!

·
Premium Member
3,725 Posts
If it is the wheel it is probably wallowed out around the bearing. It can be repaired using a larger bearing at a machine shop, however it may well happen again. I have a spare wheel for the 1200. But I just replaced the entire rear end using a GL1500 wheel, diff. gear, rotor, spacer, and caliper mount. This now gives me a 1" larger wheel, 1.2" wider, and with double inner bearings set into a steel race, much stronger and the tires are more plentiful too, including the option of going 'darkside' in the future.
Hey .... I recall those conversations ..... how'ld that work out for you .... brakes good I'll bet? :waving:

·
Vintage Rider
2,410 Posts
The rear wheel on some '84 and '85 models was defective from the factory. The right side bearing did not fit tight enough, and the metal around where the bearing was pressed in was too soft. Over time the bearing moved in the wheel, wearing out the recess even more. My '85 1200 had this problem, when I removed the rear wheel, the right side bearing just fell out. This can be fixed by machining out the wheel and using a larger bearing, or using a spacer between the wheel and bearing. I was fortunate enough that a local forum member donated me another rear wheel. It is a later model wheel, it has a dark gray area of hardened metal around the bearing, and the driven flanges had a different spacing. Hopefully you don't have this problem, but if you do, there is a ton of information out there about it.

There is also the possibility of worn splines on the ring gear and the driven flange. That requires another final drive gearcase and driven flange to fix.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.