Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Is there special tool with a special price. And what does it look like?

·
Premium Member
4,882 Posts
imported post

yes and $$$ but you can do it a couple of ways... first of all, the bearing retainer has at least one place it was punched along the threads so it would not come off.... use a very small drill bit and drill this out (only a small amount) you can use, or improvise a spanner to now remove the retainer (it screws out) or use a drift and start it loose..... some WD-40 might help as well

as for bearings... a pita... take a bolt just a wee bit smaller than the inside of the bearing.... cut a slot in the shaft with a hack saw.... now put this into the bearing... from the other side jamb a wide blade screwdriver... this will force the halves apart expanding into the bearing and is a way to now force the bearing out... the 2nd one is easy...

or fight and curse trying to get some sort of punch to catch the inside race whilst the center holder is in the way

also, helps to put your general location, maybe there is a member just down the road from you who can help

·
Premium Member
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

They're out!!! I got the same method from a search on the site, Twisty wrote it. I was curious to find no backing on the bearings. Maybe some Knuckle Head was in there before and left the inside open. I wanna thank yall for the expertise. Until next time. See Ya from the Lone Star State.

·
Premium Member
332 Posts
imported post

I used a plane ol screwdriver to tap them out, you can buy beartings with no seals, or bearings with seals on one side only, or, I put in sealed on both sides, ,
Be sure to put alittle grease on the six hub studs that ingage the rubber thingy.

·
Premium Member
4,948 Posts
imported post

Congrats on the removal. When you get your new bearings, pop off the dust seal on the bearing and massage in some good moly based bearing grease until they are full. Then put the cover back on and install the bearing.

I was shown this "trick" by an experienced Honda mechanic. The bearings I'd bought were "All Balls" brand and I was surprised at how little grease was inside the bearing.

Regards,

Hobie

·
Premium Member
1982 naked gl1100
2,576 Posts
imported post

rcmatt007 wrote:
are you saying there was no inside peice, or tube? then you need to replace it
I took it as he meant the bearings weren't sealed on the inside.

·
Premium Member
4,882 Posts
imported post

ah, yes, no backing, the oem bearings had no inside seal, but as mentioned above, even if you get bearings with seals on both sides, I would pop off the insde seal, pack them up, and then put the seal back on

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.