Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
23,447 Posts
imported post

This home-made collar thing scares me. That bike should have 2 identical spacers on the left, (brake) side of the rear wheel. Anything other than that is wrong and potentially very dangerous.

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
23,447 Posts
imported post

thejagman54 wrote:
Thanks guy's, I will order the new collar today,
Very happy to hear that, Andy.

The proper spacer is the same size (about an inch long)as the one you have, so if things seem tight with a 5/8" spacer, that tells be the wheel is not seated in the splines correctly.

BTW, I didn't realize you were new here, so welcome to the forum.

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
23,447 Posts
imported post

On line salvage yard, or e-bay. Yards will be faster probably. It should be an easy part to find...they don't wear out.

Can you post a picture of that wheel?

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
23,447 Posts
imported post

My '87 had a bad wheel. Failed in less that 1500 miles. Dealer said "the bearings fell out" when they removed it, so it wasn't just the earlymodels.

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
23,447 Posts
imported post

thejagman54 wrote:
Hi Ray,
I think you have found my issue right on!! My replacement wheel does have a steel insert for the wider bearing. WhenI took the old wheel off the bearing did fall out, and this may explain why Honda has no record of this new wheel.
Dennis has asked me to take pictures(which I have) but I am not sure how to post?
HELP
Sorry Jag. To post a picture, just hit the "browse" button below the text box and follow the tree to your pic.
If you are using "My Pictures" Windows XP software it'seven easier.

Resize the pic to 4X6 @ 72 dpi first.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.