Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Good afternoon People , hope everyone is well .

I decided that I wouldlift my '88 1500off the ground and check wherea whining/clunking noise was coming from underneath/rear ofthe bike that I have had for a while ,after checking this on the weekend it appears that it is coming from the drive shaft.

theclunking noise seems to be like a backlash when changing gears and the whining seems to belike a bearing/gear noise from shaft area near wheel (only found this out while running in 1st gear on lift).

is there anything else I should check for while bike is off groundthat Ican replace at same time, like uni-joint/bearingsand drive cush rubbers ?

I could only locate the Front wheel bearingnumbers on the "how to" section so if anybody can assist me with the other numbers I would be most greatful.

have a great day

Kaos

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts

·
Premium Member
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

Newday777 , thanks for quick response but looks like link is for 1800 wheel removal not parts fiche .

workshop manual is in the mail and should be here within the week.

Kaos

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
imported post

Sorry about that.

·
Premium Member
18 Posts
imported post

Check the rubber blocks in the back wheel, being a 1988, they are most likley worn, I had a cluncking noise when ghanging gears (like backlash), bought a back wheel from a 96 trike conversion, & now no noise.

·
Monkey with a Football
19,237 Posts
imported post

Your drive shaft may be dry/worn.

Take off the rear wheel and then the differential pumpkin.
Pull that out and the dive shaft should come with it.

·
Premium Member
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

thanks for your input Rudy and Wingrider1963, when I can get access to my workshop again to lift bike and work on it I willmake sure I check bothitems you have mentioned and deal with accordingly.

Kaos

·
Vintage Rider
2,410 Posts
imported post

Fortunately you have a 1500. You should be able to get good used parts if your drive shaft, rear wheel, or final drive are damaged, for a reasonable price. Considering that about half of all 1500s ever made were converted into trikes (ok, slight exaggeration) there should be plenty of these parts around.

I don't want to hijack you thread, but are the final drive parts on a 1500 as prone to damage from lack of maintenance as the 1200? I ask this because I am looking at a really nice (looking)'92 1500 with 117,000 miles on it. I have not ridden it yet, but the engine sounds fine. Never thought about putting it on the centerstand and putting it in gear, though my 1200 made a random click-clunk noise when I did that, the splines were fine and lubed, don't know about the inside of the gearcase, but it didn't do it while riding, and that was 7,000 trouble free miles ago.

·
Premium Member
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

JerryH , thanks for reply , I hope when I pull the rear wheel and driveshaft it is only the things asstated earlier by WingRider1963 and Rudy . Once I have the rear wheel off and remove driveshaft I willknow what tolook out for.also , Iput it in gear just to see where noise was coming from and that's when I heard the cluncking noise , up until then it was a highpitched squealing noise I could hear and was looking for.

to answeryour other question regarding 1500 maintenance I will say this, the morebasic maintenance you attemptyourself (I am not a mechanic) the more you will learnabout the 1500and you will know the work HAS been done (no more bike shop for me). myprevious ride wasan '84 1200 Aspencade (first wing) andthen along came the 1500 , you will certainly notice a differencebetweenthem , both in power & comfort.

Kaos

·
Vintage Rider
2,410 Posts
imported post

Thanks for the information. The clunking you are hearing may be normal unless it is really bad. If you can't hear it whiloe riding it is probably not that bad. The 1500 (and the 1200) are pretty smooth engines, but they are not electric, there will be some variation in their idle speed, that is the engine speeds up and slows down. It may not be enough to notice with the engine running in neutral, but it is enough to load and unload the drive train, and there is a lot of play in the entire drive train, there is play in the transmission gears, the connection from the output shaft to the U joint, the connection between the driveshaft and pinion gear, and then between the pinion and ring gears, and between the ring gear and the rear wheel, and it's all cumulative. by the time you get from the engine to the rear wheel, there is going to be quite a bit of slop in it. Try just barely touching the rear brake while running it in gear, just to put a little load on the rear wheel, and see if the clunking goes away or gets a lot better.

·
Premium Member
344 Posts
imported post

That really makes me see why the Delo works so well! lol!:thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
344 Posts
imported post

:cheesygrin:

·
Premium Member
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
imported post

thanks JerryH , will try that before removing wheel to make sure , either way will still have to replace cash rubbers and grease up shaft .

Kaos

·
Premium Member
49 Posts
imported post

My 1988 1500 with 132,000 miles makes the same sound you are describing. The noise quits when I apply light pressure to the foot brake. My rotor is extremely worn and there is some brake drag. I 'm replacing my pads, rotor and bearings.

·
Premium Member
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
imported post

thanks MLM145 , Ireplaced the rear rotor and pads not long ago when I replaced the rear tyre . with any luck and no problems at home I will be lifting the bike tonight and removing tupperware only and hopefully working on bike over the next couple of days. will keepforum posted on what I find (no pics as I don't have a camera or mobile) Kaos

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
imported post

Kaos wrote:
thanks MLM145 , Ireplaced the rear rotor and pads not long ago when I replaced the rear tyre . with any luck and no problems at home I will be lifting the bike tonight and removing tupperware only and hopefully working on bike over the next couple of days. will keepforum posted on what I find (no pics as I don't have a camera or mobile) Kaos
Did you clean the caliper pistons and the pins and grease them so the caliper will move properly when you changed the pads? If not, your pads will make noise riding cockeyed and hitting the holes in the rotor, as well as wearing out the pads faster and possibly the rotor. Most people don't do this each time they put pads on and end up with problems trying to cut corners in time.
Hope you find your problem noise.

·
Premium Member
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
imported post

newday777 , thanks for more info on this , I had themreplaced by the bike workshop a few months ago so I will find out if they diddo this work , if not , another job while wheel is off .Kaos

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
imported post

Pull it apart yourself and check it. Many shop wrenches cut corners to make more money. It has happened lots at the shops around here. Hopefully they did it right on yours.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.