Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All.
On my honda GL1200 acpencade 1984,rear wheel doesnt spin on gears,I can move it half way by my hands but thats it.

I been replacing wheel bearings so had to take wheel out,once I put it back it doesnt spin.
Brake is out,no blockage around brake disc,looks like it is something wrong with final drive.Do you have any ideas?

·
Premium Member
5,789 Posts
I would be suspicious of the final drive. I am assuming it locks up tight. Not just a tight spot that is harder to get through? Did you try putting it in low gear and let the clutch out carefully? I would take the wheel back off. See if you can rotate the final drive with the drive flange. If it rotates the issue is in the wheel or assembling the wheel back on the bike. That is do you have all the spacers in the right place etc. If the flange will not turn the final drive more than 1/2 turn take off the 4 nuts and remove the final drive. Spin the final drive by hand as well as the driveshaft. Which ever will not turn will tell you where you should look next.
Some history might be helpful. Have you owned the bike and it failed for you? Did it work until you did a repair? Did you have the final drive and driveshaft off like the driveshaft is not on the engine end of the u-joint? I'm guessing you have the spacer in the wrong place or something like that if it used to be fine.

·
Administrator
24,826 Posts
It's either missing the spacer in the final drive or the one between the bearings would be my best guess.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I would be suspicious of the final drive. I am assuming it locks up tight. Not just a tight spot that is harder to get through? Did you try putting it in low gear and let the clutch out carefully? I would take the wheel back off. See if you can rotate the final drive with the drive flange. If it rotates the issue is in the wheel or assembling the wheel back on the bike. That is do you have all the spacers in the right place etc. If the flange will not turn the final drive more than 1/2 turn take off the 4 nuts and remove the final drive. Spin the final drive by hand as well as the driveshaft. Which ever will not turn will tell you where you should look next.
Some history might be helpful. Have you owned the bike and it failed for you? Did it work until you did a repair? Did you have the final drive and driveshaft off like the driveshaft is not on the engine end of the u-joint? I'm guessing you have the spacer in the wrong place or something like that if it used to be fine.
Thank You for your great answer sir.
I removed wheel again,checked final drive,it was fine.I noticed that i bend a bit of wheel inside while been removing flange.
When I did start the bike with wheel on,on 1st gear I heard some knocking on final drive side.Wheel couldnt move couse been blocked by thad bend.

Ok.I know it is a bit messy.
Final drive is ok,it rotate on manual.
That long barel with spring on with is attached to final drive looks ok,I think issue is somewhere around u joint.
Nothing spins when the bike is running on gear.
I will check that tommorow and let you know.

·
Premium Member
5,789 Posts
Thank You for your great answer sir.
I removed wheel again,checked final drive,it was fine.I noticed that i bend a bit of wheel inside while been removing flange.
When I did start the bike with wheel on,on 1st gear I heard some knocking on final drive side.Wheel couldnt move couse been blocked by thad bend.

Ok.I know it is a bit messy.
Final drive is ok,it rotate on manual.
That long barel with spring on with is attached to final drive looks ok,I think issue is somewhere around u joint.
Nothing spins when the bike is running on gear.
I will check that tommorow and let you know.
I'm assuming the long barrel with the spring on it you are referring to is the driveshaft. Did you remove the final drive when you last had it apart, BEFORE the issue. When you pull the final drive it usually pulls the u-joint off the output shaft of the engine AND the spline of the driveshaft. Hard to see in that dark tunnel. :) Getting the u-joint back on the engine and the driveshaft in to the splines of the u-joint can be tricky but not a terrible job if you use patience. There are at least 3 ways that guys have maneuvered the joint back on the engine and the shaft back in to the u-joint. Search replacing driveshaft GL1200 or something like that and you will find lots of different techniques that guys use. Here is just one link. If you come to the conclusion the u*-joint is off and the driveshaft is not sliding in to that joint check back with the Guys here. Most have experienced the fun at least once. Don't fret It is not rocket science. You just need some masking tape and a cut off broom stick for special tools. One more thought. Do not assemble the end of the driveshaft in to the final drive dry. At a minimum put some Moly grease on the splines. Moly paste lube is preferred. :).

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Mike.I realy do appreciate your help.
YES.I did removed final drive when been takeing wheel off.I chceck u Joint.
Its been out of sprocket.I cleaned all and inspected.Looks ok for me,i place it back and everything is working fine.I will test it tomorow on my yard cause need to put all bags back first.Thank You for your help

·
Premium Member
5,789 Posts
Thanks Mike.I realy do appreciate your help.
YES.I did removed final drive when been takeing wheel off.I chceck u Joint.
Its been out of sprocket.I cleaned all and inspected.Looks ok for me,i place it back and everything is working fine.I will test it tomorow on my yard cause need to put all bags back first.Thank You for your help
On center stand in neutral the rear wheel should spin by hand, In gear it should lock up. Can't spin the wheel. Both tests with clutch left alone.

·
Premium Member
3,484 Posts
On my '85, I used to pull the driveshaft and U-joint and found that wrapping the U-joint with some wide masking tape held it stiff enough (like electrical tape on a flex socket) to re-insert using the drive shaft & final drive cradled in my left hand, all splines lubed and a loop of cotton twine tied to U-joint so I could easily pull it for second stab. Never used the broom stick. Usually wasn't much left of the tape next time. Just let go of one side of loop and removed twine.

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
I use a 2 inch pvc split down the middle,lay the driveshaft in it and slide it through the swingarm,worked good for me

1 - 11 of 11 Posts