Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

I was told this could be hard if you don't know what you are doing ? Well I don't know what I am doing, but am willing to to learn. I am sure the site or someone has some info on this.

·
Premium Member
935 Posts
imported post

Hi there

I have a gl1100 A plain jane. The principle is the same. You have to put the bike on the centre stand and then remove the rear mud guard. light and all. The exhaust normally has to come off but check clearence first as some after market ones have made this possible without this bit. The nut then comes off and make a note on paper of the order of the spacers as they come off. Their location on assembley is critical. You will also have to pop off the caliper and torque bar you may be able to just lift them up to clear. Pop off the lower suspension bolts and swing the legs up out the way.Once done then slide the wheel out to the left of the bike backwards and the shaft drive will seperate.

Check the search bit for more hints specific to your model.

·
Premium Member
935 Posts
imported post

Oops for got one bit. Loosen the clamp on the left of the bike. It saves a lot of sweating trying to drive the shaft out!

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
imported post

Just follow the directions on the GSMacLean link. It's not that difficult a job. I've removed the rear of every Goldwing I've ever owned but have yet to ever have to remove, or even loosen, the bolts on the exhaust.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Great write up and pictorial. I do the job a little differently, instead of blocking up the rear wheel so the axle clears the muffler I use a nylon ratchet strap over the frame and down to the swing arm to pull the swing arm up. That way there's no pressure on the axle, you can pull it out with very little or no hammering. I've never had to remove the final drive to get the wheels off and on the 1100s either though it helps to let the air out of the tire to get more clearance. Just goes to show there's more than one way to skin a cat. Or perhaps a bunny with a pancake on it's head.

·
Premium Member
6,183 Posts
imported post

I've always removed the final drive with the wheel. Wouldn't want to forget to grease the splines between the final drive and drive shaft...

·
Premium Member
5,106 Posts
imported post

i put my 1100 on the motor cycle trailer any trailer will do hook the trailer to a car or truck then put the bike on it back it up until the rear tire is just at the rear of the trailer put it on the center stand two people job use ratchet straps and hold the front end down secure

remove the box for the caliper side remove the caliper and bracket remove the nut and drive out the pin drop the tire down and replace reinstall put on trailer fully

and back off the trailer job done 30minutes is all it took me and my dad

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.