Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Here's an interesting way to get quick access to the rear wheel, shocks and drive line. If you have to get at them on the road this method looks like there'd be fewer loose parts laying around. Just scroll down to get to the article on wheel access.

http://www.ottawagoldwingriders.homestead.com/April2002.html

:waving::15red::waving:

·
Premium Member
338 Posts
imported post

used this method a couple of times and it works - beware when you drop everything back down it will need two of you to do it right (see 21).

Mind you the real easy way to do this was to sell the 1500 and get an 1800 instead:D

rgds

Phil

·
Senior Guru
3,589 Posts
imported post

I tried this a few years ago and had problems lining up the subframe mounting bolts. It took two of us and a good deal of tugging to get it right. I think that there was a strain on my subframe, perhaps a previous owner had dropped the bike or had a ral heavy pillion passenger on the back.

G

·
0 Posts
imported post

Phil wrote:
Mind you the real easy way to do this was to sell the 1500 and get an 1800 instead
Hey Phil :waving:Thats what my neighbour said as well. :clapper:

:jumper::18red::jumper:

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

I've had the backwheel off the normal way by pulling the two saddle bags and the trunk under cover and that worked okay. The only thing I liked about the tip up method was that you didn't have a bunch of parts laying about. If you have to pull a wheel off alongside the road somewhere or out in the open I'd either use the tip up method or put everything back on when I got the wheel off just to protect the bags, under cover, corner covers and what not from theft or damage. I like the idea of buying an 1800 but think I'm unlikely to see pigs flying which will probably have to happen first.

·
Senior Guru
3,589 Posts
imported post

With the amount of design effort that went into making the rear wheel on the gl1800 a quick removal affair, I wonder why Honda stopped there? A single side fork would have been a nice touch, with front wheel removal as easy as the back.

·
Premium Member
2,381 Posts
imported post

I love the simplicity of my GL1000...

Remove the rear axle, move the rear brake out of the way, remove wheel.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

axelwik wrote:
I love the simplicity of my GL1000...

Remove the rear axle, move the rear brake out of the way, remove wheel.
Yah, yah, brag, brag... but you're right!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.