Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I need too remove my 85 Gl1200 rear wheel for valve replacement.
Problem is that big nut. The whole shaft turns when I try too turn the nut.
The other end does have a place for a wrench but little too grip to. Is there a special wrench for that end?
How can I get this nut loose? It also looks like a RH thread, so I know I am turning in the right direction.
GerryAllan

·
Gregarious Greeter
16,809 Posts
imported post

I do not own a 1200 but it sounds like if you put it in gear and had somebody hold the rear brake you could get the axle nut loose.

·
Gregarious Greeter
16,809 Posts
imported post

I think I misread your thread. Are you talking about the axle bolt or the drive shaft spinning?

·
Premium Member
2,102 Posts
imported post

tighten your pinch bolt real good then grab what you can on the other side:action::waving:

·
Premium Member
503 Posts
imported post

is there a hole in the other end. if so stick a screwdriver in it .you can hold on to it or have someone hold it for you.if you have a impac use it it should come off then.

·
Premium Member
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

The shaft I am referring to is the rear wheel shaft. It does not turn with the wheel. The nut I can't loosen is on the right side of the wheel, at that other end. the book says to hold that end with a wrench, while turning the nut on the right side. This nut is torqued to 70ft.lbs. My problem is trying too hold the left side as I loosen the nut on the right.

·
Premium Member
789 Posts
imported post

Torque the pinch bolt on the left side so you don't break it. Stick a punch through the hole and with a wrench (27mm) on the right side nut, whack it with a hammer. If you are on your knees at the rear wheel facing to the front of bike, the wrench needs to go down. Facing the hub, right is tight, left is loose. I know, lame instructions.

·
Premium Member
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

Thanks P Yanney for your reply. I will Torque the pinch bolt on the left side to the spec's.(19ft.lbs) Please tell me again what you mean by "stick a punch through the hole" what hole is that?
Thank you.

·
Premium Member
4,931 Posts
imported post

Some axle ends have a hole drilled thru the left end. Seems that yours does not. If the above advice does not do the trick, can you get access to an impact gun--either air or electric powered. Do not use the impact gun to retighten--use a torque wrench.

·
Premium Member
4,882 Posts
imported post

tomorrow evening I will take a look at our 1200, cannot recall what it looks like at the moment, but I have never had trouble getting the nut off

·
Disfunctional Nimatode
3,381 Posts
imported post

The 1200 has a hole thru the axle on the left side to stick a punch through it.. it may be that your axle is pushed in too far covering the hole. Maybe you can get a grip on the left side with a vise grip pliers.

·
Monkey with a Football
19,237 Posts
imported post

You might also try a good sized pipe wrench on the head of the axle if you can get a bite there. Then just let the handle sit on the ground or put a block of wood under the wrench handle.

As you turn the axle bolt, it should bite in the pipe wrench jaws and allow you to remove the axle nut.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.