Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
Honda Goldwing GL 1100 SC02
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, I am a Kiwi ( from NZ) living in France, motorcycle mechanic for over 30years- I have a few Goldwings ( 1977 1000 and a 1983 1100)
I am attempting to fit some wheels off a 1984 SC014 ( 9 spoke mags) to my '83 - I am fitting the 1200 front end to accommodate the larger front wheel and would like to change the back wheel also as I hate comstars- but have found the drive flanges are totally different on the rear wheels- is there some easy conversion ie - change the drive flanges or do I have to change the whole final drive units ? Or is that even possible, I am sure someone has done this before but I can't find any reference to it so any help or advice would be very much appreciated,
Many thanks!

·
Administrator
27,106 Posts
The 83 should have had cast aluminum wheels, not comstars. You would have to change the entire swing arm and final drive to use the 1200 wheel.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The 83 should have had cast aluminum wheels, not comstars. You would have to change the entire swing arm and final drive to use the 1200 wheel.
thanks for the quick reply Dave- mine is a french model, so not sure why it is listed as an 83 with comstars, but it is all original- is it possible to change the drive flange on the alloy wheel ( which has an external 6 stud flange) to the internal flange like the gl 1100 uses? I have noticed that some drive flanges, especially those of the gl 1000 have 6 stud internal splines like the 5 stud gl 1100 ones -

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks for the quick reply Dave- mine is a french model, so not sure why it is listed as an 83 with comstars, but it is all original- is it possible to change the drive flange on the alloy wheel ( which as an external 6 stud flange) to the internal flange like the gl 1100 uses? I have noticed that some drive flanges, especially those of the gl 1000 have 6 stud internal splines like the 5 stud gl 1100 ones -
I have just checked my papers and the construction date is late '82 and it is in fact an SC02 model

·
Administrator
27,106 Posts
thanks for the quick reply Dave- mine is a french model, so not sure why it is listed as an 83 with comstars, but it is all original- is it possible to change the drive flange on the alloy wheel ( which as an external 6 stud flange) to the internal flange like the gl 1100 uses? I have noticed that some drive flanges, especially those of the gl 1000 have 6 stud internal splines like the 5 stud gl 1100 ones -
I doubt the drive flange could be changed over, the 1100 and 1200 are made almost exact opposites.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
yes I understand that - I have noticed however that the GL 1000 had a six stud flange but the same configuration as the GL 1100 - so am wondering if that would fit- its a long shot I know- I will do some more research, but I am starting to become discouraged,,,,😊

·
Administrator
27,106 Posts
Maybe try to find some 83 wheels.

Reactions: Ian Fitzwater

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
can anyone tell me if I replace the final drive flange on my GL 1100 with a swing arm and final drive off an 84 GL 1200 with its drive shaft, is that all I need to do ( to arrive at the point where I can install my 84 rear alloy spoked wheel of an 84 GL 1200 ) or do I need to replace the out put shaft from the motor too? Hope that makes sense... :)

·
Administrator
27,106 Posts
The output shaft splines are the same, everything should fit. The 1100 uses a snap ring to hold the driveshaft on the output shaft, the 1200 does not but it doesn't matter.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts