Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Howdy guys!

Here's the problem. I had the bike in the shop to have multiple things done on it. One of which was having the rear wheel replaced. I have ridden it for about two months and knew something wasn't quite right. Weds. I was riding it home and when I put on the rear brake, the bike started to wobble.

Today, I finally got it up on the rear stand and there was about a 1/8" (guesstimate) maybe less, of play in the rear wheel. I don't know if the axle nut is not tight enough. I don't have a torque wrench and don't want to bend anything trying to tighten it up.

It's back to the garage for now.

Thanks!

Jack

·
Premium Member
2,797 Posts
imported post

Sloppy and careless workmanship by that shop!

First off, dont ride it anymore until the problem is fixed.

Talk to the shop that did the work, obviously they either didnt assemble something properly or there are worn parts they missed checking that they should take care of.
( At no additional cost IMO)

After them having made such an obvious mistake I would have everything they did checked by a competent mechanic at a different shop.

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

Thanks, Dan. I'll ring him up on Monday. I didn't think it was rocket science to change a tire. I must have been mistaken.

·
Guru
3,074 Posts
imported post

I would be letting them know that a loose wheel does not do any favors to the rear bearing& other related parts.

·
Honda Guru
2,053 Posts
imported post

Go ahead and snug up the rear axle nut. You don't have to tighten it a lot but if it's loose AND the rear wheelwon't rotate when you try to spin it by hand...

they lost the spacer that goes inside the rear final drive

It's there to act as a support and keep the wheel from pressing up against the final drive. Without it the rear wheel won't spin if the axle nut is tightened.
My guess is that if the tech tightened the rear axle nut and the wheel wouldn't spin he loosened the nut so it would.

Very bad move and extremely dangerous. If this is it you should NOT ride it back to the shop and insist that they pick up the bike (obviously at no charge to you) and replace the spacer.

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

Thanks to all! I tried tightening it up, but it was really tight already. The wheel still spins. I cannot tell if the half to full turn I made tightened it at all.

I'm calling tomorrow. I figured if it was in the owner's manual, it shouldn't be difficult to do....

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.