Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I have been having trouble with start switch. Cleaned with contact cleaner starter was able to be energized. Headlightstopped working.A more indepth look was required. I separatedupper and lower switch housing and found loose starterbutton pices within the housing.

I found that the plastic housing for the startswitchwas broken.The start button appears to toggle a points contact plate. I found a small (detente) ball and suppect it may be the item riding upon the back of the point contact plate.I believe the assembly is held within the plactic housing by a small flat piece of metal. If anyone has knowledge of the assembly pleasecorrect me asI am having real trouble reassembling the pieces.

I cannot attach photos, but if anyone wants I should be able to e-mail them.

·
Older and Wiser
1,734 Posts
imported post

If your photos are too big for the post, you can upload them to your photo gallery space and just link to them here. The Help page explains it all.

·
Premium Member
4,328 Posts
imported post

I rebuilt one..what a pain the plastic box was falling apart. basically the metal plate tilts back and forward when you push the button to change the contact points in the switch.

I forget where the little ball goes..but I think it on the end of the spring..not sure though..one thing that helped me was a wedged the box in place by filling all the empty space aroudn the plastic box so when I pushed the bottom the assembly couldn't be pushed out the back..or move the whole box. I had to glue my box back together with epoxy it fell apart in my hands.

Wish i had taken pics...

·
Premium Member
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

Thanks. That was the info I needed. The start button has a spring which seats against the little plastic box. There is another spring seated, at a 90 degree angle, about half way down the length of the start button. It is here the little ball is seated. It indeed does ride on the bottom of the contact plate. It is all held in place with the little flat piece of metal. Now all I have to do is reassemble, glue, and install. Thank you for your help. Terry

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.