1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hi:waving:

Like I said in my first post, I am new to motorcycle mechanic's! :baffled:

My GL1000 engine blew, a couple of weeks back! I suspect it's just the heads and at the worst I might need to fit new piston rings! I say this because She was loosing compression and leaking oil into number one pot spark plug hole, weeks before the heads blew.

I am also new to Cumbria (North West Lakes area) I haven't met many bikers or GL bikers in this area!:(

So is there anyone out there near or in the same area as me, who might like to give me a helping hand to get hmy trike back on the road?

Ride safe

Clive

RebuiltYorkie

PS I've got the original engine that blew, and I picked up an engine that's been involved in a bike fire (Scortched on outer caseing) I've been told it's come from a known runner, and just the wiring to the points and alternator that'll need replacing.

·
The Irish Crew
3,932 Posts
imported post

Clive, if it's only head gaskets you can easily do this yourself. Just get anyone who is handy with car engines to help, the GL1000 engine is similar to working on a car and with a Haynes book as well you can't really go wrong.

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
imported post

Hi Clive,

I am really glad that you have cleared the first hurdle and got an engine that sounds like it will do the trick. It would now be really good if some one has got the time to help you out. I know I would make the time if you were closer. Many years ago I had to strip my 1000 engine down and I had a mate help me. Both of us were a tad nervious, but needen't have been. We did the right thing and labelled everthing as it came off and lined it all up on the bench and that paid off. The other thing about having two of you to do it was, that unless you are built like Charles Atlas, it is easier and safer to manouvere when out. I recall, having a wheeled car jack helped, just made it much easier than trying to lug a heavy lump in and out.

What manual have you got, I have a 1975 Honda one going begging, it saw me through even though my bike was a 77 model. If you want it I will send it up.

Good luck with the next stages, ( can't bribe the wife to help then?) and surely there are good hearted experts in Cumbria, up for a challenge!!

Catch you later mate.

Pete

·
Premium Member
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

FitzAl wrote:
Clive, if it's only head gaskets you can easily do this yourself. Just get anyone who is handy with car engines to help, the GL1000 engine is similar to working on a car and with a Haynes book as well you can't really go wrong.
Cheers

for the encouragement! I'm not too bothered about replacing the head gaskets! It's just that there have been several niggly things going wrong with the engine over the last year to be honest!

I'm hapless an' hopeless when it comes to engines! I mean I'm a woodcarver an' I belong in the 16th Century Lol:action:

My GL as been showing oil in the water expanssion tank since I bought her three years ago! No water in the oil? No loss of compression?

But just of late she as started to leak oil onto the floor! Oil was/is showing in number one spark plug hole! She won't go out of first gear till she's warmmed up? She was loosing oil, but not burning it? (No black or dark blue smoke, or water out of tail pipes?)
Her compression is down, There was no water in the oil when all this happening; however thats all changed now! Lol
She would bottom out before touching eighty mph? When before she would easy do well, well in excess (Take note Redwing! Lol) not saying that I was out to thrash her to the ground (I'm Not a Speed freak).
So I suspect that there must be more to her ailment, than just the heads? Piston ring's, valve seals, valves and may be more or less:?

Pete I'm going to get started on stripping her down, I've got both books, Haynes and Clymers, plus a couple more by haynes on MCengines, electric's and a few others. So it's just a case of getting on with it!:gunhead:

Ho!I bought a full set of tools I was guided by a book by a motorcycle mechanic's course in Tamworth College a year back! I bought all the hand tools they suggested! Then they stopped the course because they couldn't getenough students for the funding?

Ride safe all

Clive

·
Premium Member
2,350 Posts
imported post

Good Luck Clive!! Let us know how it comes out.:clapper:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.