Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

21 - 40 of 79 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,148 Posts
imported post

Thanks for sharing that sandiegobrass:waving:.

:12red:
Dean

·
Premium Member
733 Posts
imported post

On my way to NASSIR 1 I stopped at Jim's place and got to see the tensioner prototypes first hand.

Jim has spent some time and money on this and I will not hesitate to use his quality tensioner's when the time comes.

Thanks Jim

·
Premium Member
1,224 Posts
imported post

Just wanted to let you know I changed the timing belts and tensioners and the job turned out great. I used Jim's "editor's choice" custom hex bolt method with a 12mm bolt and the Gates T42015 pulley that I got from Rockauto. Followed the directions step by step and had absolutely no problems.

Thanks Jim

·
Piled Higher and Deeper
4,513 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
imported post

keithg64 wrote:
Just wanted to let you know I changed the timing belts and tensioners and the job turned out great. I used Jim's "editor's choice" custom hex bolt method with a 12mm bolt and the Gates T42015 pulley that I got from Rockauto. Followed the directions step by step and had absolutely no problems.

Thanks Jim
Glad to hear it gets some use... and it worked.. I was re-reading that after reading your post, and it looks like I need to edit it again... the basics are correct, but some of the details are a little messed up as I cut and pasted from method to method..

The T42015 is my favorite of the two as far as a bearing.. If you used a 12mm bolt (instead of a 10mm) I guess you had to drill out the bearing hole from 10mm to 12mm?... That works!!...I also remember that you have access to a lathe, so I presume that is how you did it?? I am guessing you had less than $50 in the pair??.. (Just for info..would have been more than $135 OEM).... Jim

·
Premium Member
1,224 Posts
imported post

sandiegobrass wrote:
Glad to hear it gets some use... and it worked.. I was re-reading that after reading your post, and it looks like I need to edit it again... the basics are correct, but some of the details are a little messed up as I cut and pasted from method to method..

The T42015 is my favorite of the two as far as a bearing.. If you used a 12mm bolt (instead of a 10mm) I guess you had to drill out the bearing hole from 10mm to 12mm?... That works!!...I also remember that you have access to a lathe, so I presume that is how you did it?? I am guessing you had less than $50 in the pair??.. (Just for info..would have been more than $135 OEM).... Jim
I sorry,I did use the 10mm stainless bolt and then turned down the head of the bolt in a lathe, per your instructions, and pressed that into the flange and bolted the bearing to the flange, it work real good. The bearingis hardened so drilling it out would have been difficult. I tried to drill out the bearing to accept a 7/16 bolt but that didn't work thats when I changed to a 10mm bolt, when you use the 10mm bolt all you have to do is turn the head down to fit into the flange that you drilled out before. Worked great, thanks again.

·
Piled Higher and Deeper
4,513 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
imported post

perrymedic wrote:
any change anyone have pictures of the before and after of a rebuild?
I'll take some of the versions I have... (although the sketches in the referenced stuff should give a good idea)

·
Premium Member
33 Posts
imported post

sorry, I was a touch confused from the sketches which is why I asked about pics. I just thought I'd get a better idea of which I should do from both image methods. thank you as always sandiegobrass, i've been using your knowledge to gain 10-fold of what I knew before.

·
Premium Member
1,631 Posts
imported post

Hi SDB, thanks for your very thorough and excellent repair of the Timing Belt Tensioner. When I get around to doing them on my GL1500 in the next month or so and if they need to be replaced, I'll take photographs and submit them to one of the moderators to tag on if you don't mind. I think the 10mm Stud version will work for me.

I'm just going to check out the price differences here in Canada for comparison.

Thanks again Colm

·
Piled Higher and Deeper
4,513 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
imported post

Goldwinger1984 wrote:
Terrific info Jim, thanks for posting....Vic
thank YOU.. and I still owe some more pictures..

·
Premium Member
2,106 Posts
imported post

Thanks for Help Jim, about 500 miles no problem:clapper:! Pictures are of tensioner rebuild; forgot to take some installed on bike:gunhead:, Hope the Help!! :waving:Bob

·
Premium Member
28 Posts
imported post

I recently purchased a GL1500 with 80k miles. I'm working through the maintenance procedures and began by replacinga dry rottedrear tirewith an Elite III. Next up is the timing belt replacement. Thanks for the great info on the alternative tensioners. I'm going to try and save a few bucks. Not to mention they look like a great way to go. Thanks again. Bob

·
Piled Higher and Deeper
4,513 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
imported post

badorderbob2 wrote:
Thanks for Help Jim, about 500 miles no problem:clapper:! Pictures are of tensioner rebuild; forgot to take some installed on bike:gunhead:, Hope the Help!! :waving:Bob
Nice pictures! Thanks.. I won't need to find mine now..

and that is my favorite method with the 42015 bearings (but the bolt size looks bigger than the 10mm.. is that just the pics or did you drill out the bearing mounting hole??)

·
Premium Member
2,106 Posts
imported post

No Jim I believe that's just the pictures, 10mm bolts, turned down heads, did everything like you recommended and works GREAT!!!:clapper::clapper::clapper::waving:, Bob

·
Premium Member
6,422 Posts
imported post

Thanks for all your time and shareing this easy money saving Tip

21 - 40 of 79 Posts