Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
785 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I pulled my new to me 85 carbs off. They were really clean except a green tint. Strangely 3 out of 4 float valves were stuck!! There was no varnish, or anything else. The rubber tips were clean, but there was crud around the needles in the seats holding them in. No wonder it wouldn't run.

The PO said he had the carbs professionally cleaned in Jan, drove it home 30 miles and parked it. Then spring time it wouldn't start, and was leaking gas. That's his story.

So I have the Randakks kit. I also ordered the JBM diaphragms since 2 out of 4 have holes in them.

I've been reading about the gl1200 #10 tsb where it changes the slow jet and needles. I assume I need to do this, Right? It says if you have the Cali model to change the springs too. I can't find anything about a Cali model on my bike. Where would that info be?

·
Premium Member
6,828 Posts
It should have a vapor canister back behind the fuel pump. It will look like a fuel filter with a chrome cover and 3 hoses. Items #13 for the canister and #10 for the chrome cover.

I had an 85 GL1200 Interstate just as it came from the factory and it ran fine with the OEM jets.

1985 HONDA GL1200 GOLDWING GL 1200 Aspencade EVAP CHARCOAL CANISTER 84-87 H19 | eBay

Screenshot (31).png

·
Registered
785 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No extra canister and no hose diagram. So not a Cali model. That's good.

I found the tsb #10 parts kit today so now I'm just waiting on the diaphragms.

Is the Harbor freight ultrasonic cleaner big enough to do one carb at a time? That's my game plan.

·
Registered
785 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So I have 3 choices for pilot screws. They list 2 numbers. It says they all fit the same bikes.

Are they different or just a superseded part number.

I'm going for the gl1200 tsb #10 if that matters at all. I don't think it does. You get just the pilot caps, not the screws in that kit.

·
Premium Member
6,828 Posts
I have learned the way Honda part numbers work is the first set of numbers indicates what the part is for.

The second set of numbers is the models that it fits. like GL1200 etc. The last set is the manufacturer and means nothing to us.

If you look at the second set of numbers it is the only ones we need to worry about. If you look at the parts catalog you will notice that screw fits everything from a scooter to a GL1200. I'm betting that is why they have so many listed. If you check the 3 links below you should see all three picture are identical as well. The latest and greatest is item: 16016-ME3-003

I do have to say I wouldn't spend $60 on low speed adjusting screws unless I absolutely had to.

·
Registered
785 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Two out of four are bent and the tips seem wore off.

·
Premium Member
6,828 Posts
Hope the broken off tip is not jammed in the low speed well???? If you b;pw compressed air in the low speed jet does it come out the screw hole? Carb cleaner can be sprayed in to test also. Might have to plug the low speed ports and air bleed hole to get it to come out the screw hole?????

·
Registered
785 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I shined a flashlight in there and can see light through both ends of the hole, so I should be good.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts