Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Well, I decided to rebuild my fuel shutoff valve with a kit. The kit is very simple containing the two rubber diaphrams and spring. I'm either doing something wrong or the large diaphram is not sealing. I sure don't want to have to buy one from Honda for $169.00! Just hoping someone has some experience with this. Thanks:waving:

·
It aint rocket science
3,942 Posts
imported post

Is it leaking fuel, not holding vacuum or just not allowing fuel to flow?

It is easy to reassemble incorrectly. I really do not remember the order but logic would dictate spring first towards vacuum fitting then seal with the metal disc mated to spring and then the smaller seal. With the seal holes lined up, gently squeeze the two halves together and start your screws and tighten.

Sorry, I can not be any more helpful.

JD

·
Premium Member
396 Posts
imported post

The rebuild kits are getting very hard to find. Recently, I had a problem with the petcock on my 1998 1500. I was able to find rebuild kits for the earlier 1500s but not the later ones (not sure what the difference is). Anyway, I wound up ordering a new petcock from Ron Ayres for $118.00. It was worth it to me to spend the money to have my bike back in good shape as I ride every day.

Good luck,
Ed

·
Premium Member
3,318 Posts
imported post

I rebuilt mine last year so hopefully it will be ok for a long time yet. If it causes problems again I will replace it with one of the electric valves similiar to this one. Certainly a lot cheaper than buying a newvacuum valve.

http://www.dan-marc.com/79-afc11112.html

·
Premium Member
104 Posts
imported post

open the fuel door inside is the gas cap in front of the capis a roundish object with four philips screws in it that is the fuel valve .perhaps someone will down load a pic to show you this item

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
imported post

Some 88s didn't have them I hear

·
Premium Member
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

I used a Mity-Vac on the vacuum port and can get no reading. I did consider the electric petcock but would like to hear more about it from folks using them. There is a tiny grove in the cover and the large diaphragm has a lip on it that looks like it should seat in the grove to seal it thoroughly but the diaphragm is thin and hard to position perfectly. Just wondering if a minute amount of silicon could be used in the grove to hold the diaphragm in place? Thanks for the input! Jeff

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
imported post

Did you use the Valkyrie rebuild kit?

·
Premium Member
396 Posts

·
Premium Member
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
imported post

It said 88-89 Honda 1500 Goldwing. It looks identical to what I replaced Stu. How is the valk different? I've heard it's not the same.

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
imported post

It is a different petcock design. Exactly I don't know.

·
Premium Member
250 Posts
imported post

Thanks. When I think of a petcock I was thinking of the lever type that you turn to shut off the fuel.

·
It aint rocket science
3,942 Posts
imported post

No silicone Jeff. Tens of thousands of these have been assembled, you can do it too. Just takes a little patience. Get the two halves close enough to start one screw. A vise might be handy here to hold the lower half. Keep the cover level. Three screws and diaphragm holes to go. Rotate the top slightly back and forth with the next screw in the cover to pick up an adjacent threaded hole. You may have to tug a little bit on the diaphragm with a small pair of smooth jaw pliers or a hemostat to line up correctly. Get that one started and move on the next.

Once you get them all started, alternate tightening to bring the cover down evenly.

JD

·
Premium Member
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
imported post

JD, This is is getting to be be like a heart transplant and totally out of my experience level! haha! ...but that's kind of the way I'm seeing this as well! I've taken it apart twice to get things better but no luck yet!

·
It aint rocket science
3,942 Posts
imported post

jeffy1500 wrote:
JD, This is is getting to be be like a heart transplant and totally out of my experience level! haha! ...but that's kind of the way I'm seeing this as well! I've taken it apart twice to get things better but no luck yet!
:smiler: Steady hands and patience is what it takes. I have rebuilt hundreds of carburetors, pumps and valves of all sorts in my day. Some diaphragms line right up and screw together nicely. Others, well now you know.

Just don't get frustrated and rip it. If need be, walk away and tackle it later.

JD

·
Premium Member
1,851 Posts
imported post

I worked a little Permatex in the groove with a toothpick last time I rebuilt one, and it went together easy. Never had any more trouble with the valve. Check to see that valve holds a vacuum before final mounting.
gumbyred

·
Premium Member
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
imported post

Well after assembling and disassembling the petcock three times with the new rebuild kit and it not holding any vacuum my neighbor tried it and got it right the first time. I'm back in business. Thanks for the help guys! Jeff:thumbsup:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.