Well, many of you already know I was in an accident on the 12th of June. Not going into insurance companies here or health. I just figure I will run through the rebuild as I go. Perhaps this way some will get a good knowledge about their front ends and even more important some can give me some good pointers as I go.
So the short of it; I was hit from behind pushing me into the vehicle in front of me.
Front end damage: Front forks - tubes, history, glides - history, wheel - will be testing on a stand to see if it is still true, axle - history 0.022 runout, bearings - replacing, Triple Tree - history (broke stop tab off), right grip - history, handle bars - history, tall windshield +4" - history (broke both end tabs off), wheel covers - history, front fender (both A & B) - still excellent condition (tuperware yahoo), brake calipers - good, brake pads - soaked with front end oil, replacing.
Taking everything apart is the first step. Second step will be through inspection of all components and frame.
First off were the grips, thank you to the forum information in "Bikers Workshop Series #9". What works for an 1800 works for a 1500 when all I needed was information to get them off. I could have just cut them off, but it's good to refine your skills as you go and do everything as if it is going back together. Thanks to that, it was easy. Since I know that this process is going to take some time (perhaps a few months) I decided to take care of a few other items as well, like, sticky buttons and switches. So I took everything apart to properly clean and put back together using dielectric grease (very small amounts so as not to attract dirt) on all the contacts. OK putting the handle bars on the out pile (they were bent 3/4" out of square) I went on to the forks. Oh, lower cowling, wheel covers, all on the out pile. It's a simple fact the forks are not going to be kept, so after removing the tire and wheel, and axle setting them aside, I drained the oil from the tubes first. Nice and clean (I just rebuilt them two weeks prior). Loosening pinch bolts I slid the tubes out. Pictures will follow all this. I put the glide in the vice and proceeded to take it apart. Progressive springs will be used with my next front end. Oh, I have a line from a member here for the front end, so perhaps next week it will be in the mail:clapper:. Anyway, I will rebuild that one with my components once I get it and will post as I go.
Next, I noticed here that the triple tree was missing the turn stop. I had planned on replacing it anyway (impact and all). That item will take a while to get as I have a raked front end and going to 4.5 degree rake this time instead of the 6 degree that I had in there. They don't give those puppies away,:shock: but that is all right I have a lot of work to do. In removing the Triple Tree, you need to remove the bolts on the bottom where the cancelling switch is. then back to the top, remove the rubber cap push this cap back on the wire to give at least 4" of wire that you can push down the triple tree stem to get to the coupler. Rudy, you will be happy to hear that I'm redoing all my 15 years of 'not so good' wiring. Already started taking it out and doing it properly this time as I'm waiting for parts.
Including soldering, eliminating excessive wire, removing junk, adding an electric fuse box (when you build it for me
OK, now I can see pretty good up around the frame fork area. I took pictures, as you can see things on camera a lot easier. Wherever I had a question (a line of some sort) I then checked out really good physically. No cracks have been found. Measured to certain points and all seems to be straight. That was a relief:clapper:.
Yesterday, Saturday I received my first two packages of many I expect. A new axle, and new handlebars, oh yeah. I figured sense I had to replace them (handlebars) anyway, I wanted a set that I have been looking at from MBL, of which they don't make anymore. So calling them they gave me some of their suppliers through the US and said good luck. The very next day MBL called me back and told meof two places they found to have them, thank you MBL. I've been playing with them this morning already, the handlebars that is. They are 1 1/2" narrower than stock and 2" longer. Can't wait to give them a try.
So that is it for now, I expect another package this week (besides the forks) of wheel bearings, and a front fork seal kit (with bushings).
More to come.
IF any of you need to do this yourself,
DON'T FORGET TO TAKE LOTS OF PICTURES, ESPECIALLY OF THE ELECTRICAL ROUTING AROUND THE HANDLEBARS.
OK, so that being said I had a time figuring out the routing of the wire looms to make sure they don't get pinched. So my Triple Tree arrived and I went and picked it up today. Wasn't going to wait for them to deliver it. You need a spanner wrench for the remounting of the tree. So I went and found one to use. Laid everything out put it all in dry the first time. But it all together to find out any obstacles that I might have to work out. Pretty cut and dry. So apart it came again, and greased it up for the re-run. I also had to borrow a race remover as there was not way any of my tools were going to be able to remove the bottom race in the fork head. Top yes, bottom no.