Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

Hi - I'm a new member but long-time Wing lover. I have a '75 1000 with 12,000 original miles. Trying to decide to either rebuild or sell. How expensive are the various rebuild parts going to be? Carbs are in good shape so no worries there. Curious if anyone out there would like to help talk me through a rather long-term repair?

·
Premium Member
200 Posts
imported post

Rebuild or s.....s.......sell? IS THERE ANY QUESTION WHAT TO DO?? :cool:Hmmmm?

As you start your REBUILD, do what you can and if you are stumped, search the subject on here, and ask alot of questions. You will be amazed at how your bike will come along as we all verbally help you build it...NOW GET GOING!

·
Premium Member
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
imported post

Thanks for the wake-up call. Not alot of experience on motorcycles but willing to learn. I will continue to read and post. How could I ever use that "s" word? LoL

·
Gregarious Greeter
16,809 Posts
imported post

Welcome from the state of Pennsylvania!

·
Premium Member
759 Posts
imported post

For using the S word, go stand in the garage and saw you are sorry to the old girl 100 times.

·
Premium Member
1,202 Posts
imported post

Rebuild definately. I am working on bringing my 1100 back to the shape she deserves to be in and have gained alot of help from the guys and gals here in the forum. If you are looking for good used parts, check the for sale/ wanted forum. I can't begin to tell you the parts I ran across for mine there.

·
Premium Member
27 Posts
imported post

Welcome to the magnificent addiction, wrenching on old wings. This bike had led me to tears on occasion, but there is nothging more gratifying than getting into a problem, learning your way out, and knowing that the job is done right. Plus, it's a cheaper addiction than drugs (well, at least SOME drugs), and gives a lot more satisfaction. Good luck!

·
Premium Member
1,136 Posts
imported post

Rebuild? What needs to be rebuilt? Where you go from here will depend a lot on where the bike has sat for the last several years. If it was out back behind a barn, that will be a lot different than if it was inside the barn!!! You will have to fill us in with a few more details.

Shop manuals are available free on this forum.

As a minimum, you can expect to repair or replace:
-all rubber parts, hoses, O rings, bushings etc.
-carb rebuild
-inspect the inside of gas tank for rust
-check and probably replace battery
-remove the infamous connector on the 3 yellow stator wires (do a search here)
-remove rear wheel and inspect and re-lube rear spline
-inspect swing arm and pivot for corrosion
-inspect general condition of wiring for corrosion in the connectors and brittleness in the insulation
-replace timing belts if you are unsure of history
-brakes, of course
-inspect exhaust pipes, crossover pipe and mufflers for perforations underneath

The engine itself will depend on its history. I'm assuming it runs. Someone will be along soon to recommend Seafoam in the gas and oil!!!

·
Premium Member
4,882 Posts
imported post

Tigger65 wrote:
Hi - I'm a new member but long-time Wing lover. I have a '75 1000 with 12,000 original miles. Trying to decide to either rebuild or sell. How expensive are the various rebuild parts going to be? Carbs are in good shape so no worries there. Curious if anyone out there would like to help talk me through a rather long-term repair?
rebuilding a 1000.... go over to www.nakedgoldwings.com lots of how to's and "olde-wings" owners

or sell it to me....

·
Registered
819 Posts
imported post

I would definitely restore it.

I just got my 75 roadworthy.

The restoration took a while and some of the parts were a little difficult to find but that's part of the fun. Most of the parts can found at a reasonable price if your willing to takea littletime to search for them, Eventually the right part will come along. One of my best finds was a 76 parts bike for a hundred dollars that had a good original muffler and the grab rail around the back of the seat. And trust me there will some frustrating moments like when I had to pull the carbs apart at least six times before I got them right.

The very first night I had it out I stoppedby the previous owners house and let him take a look, He was so pleased with it I thought he was going to cry.

On the way home I stopped at the local bike night. My friends persuaded me to enter it in the bike showand won first place in the Classic category. Days like that make it all worth it.

If you need any info please let me know, and I am sure there are many othermembers on here that are much smarter than me that are more thanwilling to share their knowledge. Plus the search engine on this site will definitely be your friend. I could not have got the job done without help and information from the incredible people on this site.

Here is the link to a more or less pictorial history of my restore.

http://www.peterbylt.com/gl1000.htm

I still have a lot to do before it isas nice as I would like it to be and I doubt it will ever actually be finished.

Peter

·
Premium Member
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
imported post

Wow. Thanks for all the encouragement everyone. A few details about this project: Bought the sweetheart (the wing not the wife) at an auction where the previous owner had it stored for at least ten years in a barn. Tank was gummed up so I made mistake of having it stripped internally and sealed. That ruined the pick-up tubes so I made fuel port out of drain plug. Had carbs rebuilt and fluids replaced before driving for a couple of years then ended up storing it myself for at least 15 years now.
Had carbs rebuilt years ago again but never put them back on bike. Still in wrapping from bike shop.
Brakes need alot of TLC and I'm not sure where to start with the engine. Very nervous about turning the crankshaft because of possible cylinder damage due to lack of oil for so long. Should I fill cylinders with oil through spark plug holes and turn engine by hand for a few turns? Also I need a new fuse holder and plan on near total rewiring. I assume from comments that a wiring diagram is available somewhere?
After all that it's down to the more cosmetic issues like broken turn signal and cover plate emblems.
Again thanks for the warm welcome and future assistance. Money may slow me down but shall not deter me from my goal of driving my wing. I SHALL RIDE AGAIN!!

·
Premium Member
4,328 Posts
imported post

First go here and read this, http://www.randakks.com/TechTip24.htm then read the rest of his site when you can..

Yes, oil in the cylinders and some hand cranking couldn't hurt, new timing belts before you try to start her, after she's running put some seafoam in the oil run her for a 100 miles and change the oil this will clean out a lot of gunk in the engine.
What did you use in the tank to seal it..some of the stuff like Kreem may end up clogging your carbs. You may want to strip it out and start over. It can be seal w/o clogging the screens..

·
Premium Member
148 Posts
imported post

Hi trigger65

I'm like you I bought a 77 with 7209 miles on the clock and not experienced with the Wings. I went thru every system on the bike just to make sure it is safe to ride.

Mine sat in a garage since 1979 but it is a labor of love and the parts are not that expensive. Some eBay stores consider them antiques but they are not. Remember you don’t have to find all stock parts the design of this bike is 34 years old and aftermarket parts may be better. Things like Brake Lines which I could not find a stock one are better left to the aftermarket.

·
Premium Member
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
imported post

RB - Thanks for the extra site. Will definitely read over that one. As for the tank I had it professionally sealed. Lifetime guarantee but they told me ahead of time that the pick up tubes would be forever blocked. I just decided at that time that I would rather protect the newly rebuilt carbs forever and reroute the fuel supply than worry about gumming up later.
So you think the timing belt needs changed even though it only has 12000 miles? Probably so since it's been on the bike the whole time. Well, I guess that'll be my first part purchase. Then fill cylinders and try to turn engine. Thanks again.

·
Premium Member
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
imported post

Thanks MS03 . I'll start checking Ebay and JC Whittney for parts. I'll defintely be looking for brake lines. And you're right, this bike is not currently an all stock machine so there's no reason to fret about exact period parts.
Thanks again to everyone. I will be asking loads of questions and looking for suggestions so I figured I would thank all of you now in case I get too wrapped up to do it later.

·
Premium Member
8,524 Posts
imported post

Welcome from sunny Southern California, well how far have you gotten? Lets go here. :DYou are in the best place for lots of honest good help along with a good bunch of people.:action:

·
Premium Member
768 Posts
imported post

Restore of course!
I'm currently restoring a 1980 GL1100 and having a blast doing it. As to the cost, a lot depends on what needs done, and what look you want - remember in general that you get what you pay for - in most cases it is better to spend a little extra and get the good stuff instead of paying for junk.

Whatever you do, stay away from Saber Cycles - nothing but junk, as you will find on both this site, as well as others, such as "SaberCyclesSucks"

Good luck and have fun!
Grandma rides and wrenches!

·
Pops
4,519 Posts
imported post

Keep it, restore it and then ride it. I just started a restro on my 75 GW, but it only has 3800 miles. :)

·
Premium Member
134 Posts
imported post

With those low miles whats to rebuild?Probably the braking system if it sat for too long.Not a big deal really.Timing belts probably need to be changed out.Fork seals are a possiblilty.If it was stored indoors thruout its life its going to be a snap to get it back on the road.
if its been an outdoor cat then the gas tank could need a good cleaning.Or if gas was inside the tank for a long period you will need to purge the tank and check for corrosion.
Ive found on bringing back a 77 gl100 to life that the fuel system was the most work intensive part of the resurrection.
It can be hard if u are not willing to spend spend spend.
Just waiting for good used parts can take up a lot of time.Buying new can be the quick and expensive solution.it depends on what your willing to spend and whats still avialble from Honda.It sure can add up.
I paid $500 for mine and have another $700 into it easily with mostly used parts from ebay.
Good Luck and we will be here for you.
Flatfour.

·
Premium Member
148 Posts
imported post

You are right flatfour those are the items, mine was in a garage for 20 years. The fender were pitted so I just sanded the front one and painted it the rear fender was bent so that one had to be replaced. I ran into the problem with dried up grease so I removed almost every part that moved like the brake pedal,swing arm and replaced all the bearings.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.