Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

Caliper stuck closed

·
Premium Member
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
imported post

Actually I pulled the caliper and the master cylinder just this morning. I haven't taken anything apart but I will say this, the master cylinder looks as tho it has never been off this bike, it's all rust and corosion, the caliper don't look much better.

·
Premium Member
168 Posts
imported post

Was a nice set of pics for the caliper rebuild.
Its been a while since I've done this and don't remember, how tight is the piston to the seals. Cannot rotate the buggers even with pliers, thought I was able to rotate with my fingers last time. So this time I just pumped em out a little, cleaned them up some and pushed em back in. I'll wait till I hear back from you guys before I put the saddle bags on in case you suggest a ful rebuild

·
Premium Member
1,902 Posts
imported post

The piston movement should easy; so easy that the suction of the hydralics pulls the piston back in the caliper.

Stainless steel pistons would help the situation, if you can find them. The make them for earlier CBs,

·
Premium Member
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
imported post

That is a good down load on the rear calipers.....Thank you

·
Premium Member
168 Posts
imported post

my pistons are about double bad, polished up the pits are still deep, look like yours before cleaning for the last 3/8 inch, how deep is the main seal, 1/4"? should be OK.
Might have something to do with gravel road and sodium chloride for dust control.

I can see stainless pistons being useful, but that housing material is still gonna corrode and gum it up. I can probably do ss pistons at work, if I buy beer for the lathe operator.
Perhaps someone sells ss calipers.

Pistons should be loose you say, nope, had to use a c-clamp to get it back in, and that didn't push out the other one. Will have to watch disc temp, and hope my economy improves soon.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.