Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Rebuilt carbs on my 88 to fix the hesitation, put the bigger jets and 4th degree wheel. Hesitation gone, ran great for about fifty miles, then the engine stared spitting and sputtering and would hardly run. What happened? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Filled up tank with super, I put in the electric petcock, I think gas is getting to the carbs, but will check fuel pump.

·
It aint rocket science
3,966 Posts
What is the history on the bike, have you been riding it or was this its maiden voyage? Did it overheat, did you check and top off water after carb pull.

I would say flooding carbs, does the exhaust stink or make your eyes watery. Or the degree wheel somehow slipped. After shutting it down check the spark plugs for wetness, if black they could be fouled, the two back ones are fairly easy to get to. Or put a piece of cardboard in front of intake and check for leanness.

http://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums.../426066-1500-fuel-mixture-diagnosis-test.html

·
Anti-Guru
2,711 Posts
Take a look to see if your idle mix screws are still in the carbs (I've seen em drop out; makes for a bad day) ...

Also, I didn't see if anyone asked about the fuel filter you replaced -- OEM or ?? (the horrors of a digested EMGO could be your issue, if you went that way)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.