Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

be carefull for rebuilt starters that come with outer side of the planterygear in plastic

lasers56:waving:live to ride again

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,970 Posts
imported post

If i didnt know better that box would definatly sell me oin the starter.

At least you got it working.
What type of warranty is on that??

·
Premium Member
40 Posts
imported post

Are you refering to the gear in the chain that the starter splines engage, did this starter come with a replacement gear that is plastic? Did it give you grief?
Shimmy

·
Premium Member
2,970 Posts
imported post

Use the search to read his previous post.
boy did he have trouble getting that starter in. He finnaly got it done and is happy as hell by the look of all these post.
I just love it when a fellow winger sees the light and comes through the tunnel.
man its a good feeling of accomplishment

·
Premium Member
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

yes well like richardrwd had advise we descoverd a plastic gear in the plantery gear the one that is on the outher side could be in plastic here a picture on the next fore.

Bailbob, I had the same problem with my bike, also an 1100. I went through 2 srters before I found the problem.

Before you do anything else, pull the starter back out of the bike. Remove the three long bolts and pull the the nose peice off of the main starter casing. When you pull it apart hold it with the nose peice down so the planetary gears do not fall out. Set the main casing down and inspect the planetary gears. What I want you to do is turn the outside gear, note if the outer ring gear is metal or plastic and observe to see if the gears are turning freely. You may very possibly find that there is a point where they just stop like they're stuck. If this is the case, check the ring gear. There is a small key on the nose peice that fits into a notch on the ring gear and keeps it in place. If the gear is plastic, the gear may have jumped and the key is no longer in the notch and it is causing just enough of a flat spot to jam the gears and not allowing the starter to do it's job. This is what happened to mine.

What I did was take apart the old starter, put the old nose peice which had a metal gear onto the new casing put it together and re-installed it. I never had a problem with since then.

It seems some of the off brand manufacturers are saving money by using the plastic gear instead of metal and the torque of the metal gears against it are to much and it moves out of place.

Good luck and let us know how you make out. (with the bike, not your love life, that's for another thread.)

special thanks to Richardrwg

·
Premium Member
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

hi muaymendez1

don t care because if i change it i have open the starterand that invalidate the warranty alsoif ido buy another starter on the net iwant proof that the gears are metal.

lasers56/live to ride again

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.