Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had a Honda dealer offer( free pick up and delivery) for the rear brake cylinder and secondary ..Service called ( We have to bleed the fluids out put new in and bleed the clutch if you want . Well thinking that's probably a good thing to do ..Charges are over 140.00 So ,what are you gonna do so OK..Called up Honda Customer relations and on the recall they replace the secondary and rear brake cylinders plus up to 6 bottles of fluid to get the job done. So it looks like I'm getting a 140.00 clutch bleed job...(but I get a free pick and delivery)...:whip: Anybody else have a similar situation...

·
Administrator
24,378 Posts
Well "there ain't no free lunch". $140 for "free" pick up & delivery & a clutch bleed doesn't sound all that bad. It probably would cost that to have a tow truck pick it up and take it there, even if it's close.

·
Trike Master
1,217 Posts
another reason to always ask what the charge will be prior to saying OK!
$140 to "bleed" the clutch is ridiculous, IMHO. Even high if the clutch fluid was replaced also!

·
Administrator
24,378 Posts
another reason to always ask what the charge will be prior to saying OK!
$140 to "bleed" the clutch is ridiculous, IMHO. Even high if the clutch fluid was replaced also!
How you gonna bleed the clutch without replacing the fluid? I'm sure what is meant by "bleed the clutch" is a fluid change.

·
Premium Member
82 Posts
They may have changed the fluid in the front MC and bled the 2 bleeders that go with it since that is not included in the recall. Counting picking it up and removing the front lower cowl to bleed the clutch that may not be too out of line.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Hell, I would have done that for a lunch. And I'm not very far, as it goes...
If the dealer has the Phoenix Injector (as I do), this job (bleeding clutch), takes less than five minutes. And the last time i timed it, that included crawling my old arse under the Miata...

I worked at a dealer (new car). They need to make a lot of money, and new vehicle sales is NOT a profit center. You got took, sorry to say. Tacking charges onto a recall is low, wonder how much farther they'd go...

Cosmo

·
Banned
4,568 Posts
Call the dealer and speak with the Service MANAGER, not the writer who bs'd you.
Ask him exactly what you were charged for and why,,
maybe it was an innocent mistake on the part of an untrained service writer who doesnt know about recall details
and simply entered the wrong codes in computer
(Im being nice)

If you are not satisfied with the refund that person offers, call CORP and make a complaint
That will prompt a call from corp to dealer, and a call from dealer to you!

ANY increase in price over estimate MUST be approved- to a dollar amount- by the customer before work can proceed
(guess who spent a lifetime in auto repair)

Its possible the word bleed was used instead of the correct job description of flushed, which should be done once a year
on all the hydraulic fluids, with a MAX between flushes of 2 years.
Wiki hygroscopic for why

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the input but I'm sure the dealer knows exactly what there doing by taking advantage of the free pick and delivery deal to get you in there , then the hook comes . I will look at the bike all over when it gets back before the C.Card no comes out witch I told them , then use my tender negotiable skills that I have learned over the years to knock down the bill from a felony charge to a misdemeanor. not my first rodeo probably won't be my last...Think Spring ...

·
Administrator
24,378 Posts
If the dealer has the Phoenix Injector (as I do), this job (bleeding clutch), takes less than five minutes.
Not when you have to take the lower cowl off and the vapor canister.

·
Banned
4,568 Posts
ck the fine print on the actual RECALL notice from honda (its on here or the internet)
On something like brakes-- it often includes towing to the dealer at least, and often the return to owner

Honda certainly doesnt want the liabilty of you riding it with bad brakes!

CALL CORP before anything else happens!! ask what is covered and what extra charges are allowed- or covered

15-30 minutes to flush the Front brakes and clutch is reasonable
but- as said before- a dollar amount must be approved by the customer
Thats overseen by your state bureau of auto repair- handles all types of repair shops- with a business license--they issue them!

If Honda allows 6 pints of brake fluid- that covers everything!!
Yes the dealer may know whats up and is scamming or it may be a mistake by human
Stupid Humans!!

·
Premium Member
523 Posts
I just talked to my dealer to set-up an appointment to get my recall done. I asked what the charge would be to have the clutch and front brakes done while it was in and he told me that this is normally a 2 1/2 hr job, they are doing it at a 1 1/2 hr rate so it will cost me about $160.

Still seems high How difficult is it to do? I'll probably check with an independent shop I use and see what they want.

·
Premium Member
523 Posts
Ok, I just read through the recall procedure on a link provided by "Dadztoy" and it sure looks to me that by the time they are done with what they need to do the only "extra" thing I should be charged for would be the clutch fluid change. $160 for that seems high. The independent shop I have used said they would do the clutch for about $80.

·
Premium Member
231 Posts
I had the clutch flushed while mine was in for the recall. It was $37 out the door. X amount for labor, some overpriced fluid, and sales tax.

·
Banned
4,568 Posts
Time to call Corporate customer service and ask what the deal is?!
Honda corp expects perfect 10s on customer satisfaction surveys, anything less is a failing grade
With the slow economy and shops needing every dollar,,,plus recall work pays less to the dealer than regular customer rate...
they appear to be hosing the consumer with this extra charge
Sure IF all the panels were in place..but the bike is naked in the needed areas!
AND Honda provides for plenty of fluid, once a bottle is open it must be used immediately--It was charged for that bike,
should go in it- not the next bike...
Surely there is some leftover for the other areas~

That, or get a $5 1-man bleeder at harbor freight or parts store and a qt of DOT4 fluid
Working on your bike can give a great feeling of satisfaction, and you can do a 200 mile burger run with the 100 dollars you saved!

But seriously- DO CALL CORP!!

I am assuming the riders with issues have already spoken directly with the SERVICE MANAGER, that is who corp will tun around and call after your complaint of overcharging

Is the towing issue covered in the recall notice (Im not on an 1800 so didnt read it)

·
Banned
4,568 Posts
Question: with the 1800s interconnected brakes (of which I have no understanding)
wouldn't the repair work on rear master cyl then require a front brake bleed/flush?

·
1,598 Posts
Question: with the 1800s interconnected brakes (of which I have no understanding)
wouldn't the repair work on rear master cyl then require a front brake bleed/flush?
Yes and no .
The front system operates 3 pistons in the front calipers and the rear system operates another 3 pistons in the front calipers . The two systems are not connected "hydrailical" to each others an the fluid dosnt mix .
Bleed/flush the front system is "ekstra" Work , and will take half an hour for me (yes i now that some Works faster than me :surprise: ).
Bleed/flush the clutch system is another task , and will require the removal off front lower cowl and wapor canister , as mentioned by Dave , and the complete Work is about an hour or so , - eaysily more if the bike is equipped with aftermarket ass .(yes i now there is faster mechanics than me :crying2:).

·
Premium Member
523 Posts
Looking through the procedure again I guess I was mistaken. The recall flush and fill does only cover the fluid on the pedal system, nothing on the brake lever system. When I talked to the independent shop they did say if I needed the clutch and the front brakes fluids done it would be about $140. They do not specialize on Goldwings but do work on them.

This does put the cost a little more in line, but still seems high. I'll probably check with a couple other dealers in the area - see if I get the same answer - and contact corp, see what they have to say.

Bob

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.