Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
785 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since getting another 1200 I have one that needs to sit outside over the Winter. I hate to do it to it, but I just don't have room for 2 in the garage.

So. Can you guys recommend a cheap, but waterproof cover. Thanks

·
Administrator
26,529 Posts
I got a real good cover at Walmart for the 1800 but it should fit a 1200 just fine. It has been several years so they might not have them anymore.
Don't use a plastic tarp, moisture condenses under them and is probably worse than leaving it uncovered.

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
22,746 Posts
I have a Nelson-Rigg travel cover. It's a full cover that will easily fit inside a helmet when wadded up. Seems to be holding up okay, considering the use it has gotten.

My other "heavy duty" cover is one I have used locally and is a Dry-Ryder brand. It did get used as a travel cover for a while but is too big really, when wadded up and takes up a third of the trunk space. Back when I worked, it got daily use but is still in one piece.

I've had both of the covers for probably 20 years or more and the elastic has kind of gone away on both, so bungies are needed. The Dry-Ryder is the more weather resistant of the two and would be my recommendation, if you can find one. It's probably the same thing as the Wal-Mart brand with a different name written on the carrying bag.

·
Administrator
26,529 Posts
Classic motogear is the brand of the one I got from Walmart. It wasn't for anything specific except touring bikes but fits the 1800 perfectly. Since a 1200 is pretty close in size to an 1800 it should fit it too.

·
Premium Member
2012 GL1800
528 Posts
I am still using the cover I bought for my 1200 on my 1800. It is the Hondaline Special Edition cover. Still decent after all these years.
So any cover for the 1800', should fit well.
One suggestion though, do not park the bike on a dirt covered or grass covered area. The moisture will be trapped by the cover and cause a lot of rust on the bike. A heavy rubber mat on the ground will help no matter how you store it. Look for horse stall mats at places like tractor supply

·
Premium Member
536 Posts
i got a portable motorcycle garage off of ebay a few years ago, my wing is in a large one and the Mighty ST 1300 is in the other

·
Registered
2 Posts
Since getting another 1200 I have one that needs to sit outside over the Winter. I hate to do it to it, but I just don't have room for 2 in the garage.

I have had to move my GL1200 outside for the first time in almost 20 years. I purchased a heavy duty all weather cover from carcoversfactory.com it fits great and if I travel over night I always take my pull along trailer anyway for easy storage. Cheep? No! About $100, but worth every penny.

·
Registered
1 Posts

I got this one on Amazon for my 1986 Aspencade. Works Fantastic! ( was about $25.00). Is heavy Duty and you can put a cable or chain thru the front wheel to lock the bike as well!

Link: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0183NQESM/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,143 Posts
Your Notifications are very specific, you must go to your Profile Settings page and check off what you want.

• Notify for every post
  • Notify once per day?
  • Notify once per week.

·
Premium Member
281 Posts
I still have a Honda cover for my 1200A. It is the gold Aspencade cover that either came with the bike new or that I ordered out of Honda’s catalog. Too long ago to remember. It is aged, but is still on it, albeit inside. Plenty of bird droppings though.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts