Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
So after owning my 87 Gold wing Aspencade in pretty amazing condition for 30 year
Got rear ended in FL at a red light
Insurance decided to total is, which was 馃槩
But had it insured for a value and not book value so kind of lucky
But in the market for a trike and see to s for sale just not sure what kit is better or worst then the other. Looking at older models in Late 90's to 2000+ miles aren't a concern but noting over 100K
Be great full for any recommendations and Thank you all in advance

Registered
How much are you willing to spend? A trike with over 100,000 miles might be a better runner than one with 10,000 miles, and been sitting for 5 plus years. A dealer near me had a 2007 Gold Wing trike with 129,000 miles a year ago that looked like new. It was on the floor about a week. I never caught the price. By the time I thought about it, and went back, it was sold.
gumbyredd

Magic Moderator
You have two choices of suspension: solid axle or independent suspension.
Presently there are 4 conversion companies left: Hannigan, CSC, Roadsmith and Motortrike. Lehman/Champion are gone.
You don't want an off-brand: Triwing, Triking, DFT.
You would want EZ-Steer or raked triple trees.
With a GL1500 you would like to know when the timing belts were changed? Maintenance records from a private seller?
A GL1800 you would need to know if the trike is a 2001 to 2004 and the frame weld.
There was also a brake recall for all GL1800 models from 2001 to 2015.
Make sure this has all been checked.
Mileage on a well maintained Goldwing means it will last many more years, there is one that has over 300,000 miles on it.
If you go for a GL1500 go for the newest one as they have improved lighting and the Valkyrie transmission.

Premium Member
Why not a DFT trike as their still being made?

Magic Moderator
The funny thing about buyers is they shy away from a brand they have not seen in trike circles or offered at shops. Mostly all shops offer one or two of the 'Major' brands. Champion has exited the trike conversion market and is only offering sidecars and that also put an end to Lehman trikes. This could make you rethink buying either one and shying away from them in the used market place. The only answer I have is that DFT got 'Classified' as an off-brand by the consumer. Replacement parts are the worry the buyer should have. Are the parts 'Proprietary' or can they be purchased from a local auto parts store?

Registered
Discussion Starter #6
You have two choices of suspension: solid axle or independent suspension.
Presently there are 4 conversion companies left: Hannigan, CSC, Roadsmith and Motortrike. Lehman/Champion are gone.
You don't want an off-brand: Triwing, Triking, DFT.
You would want EZ-Steer or raked triple trees.
With a GL1500 you would like to know when the timing belts were changed? Maintenance records from a private seller?
A GL1800 you would need to know if the trike is a 2001 to 2004 and the frame weld.
There was also a brake recall for all GL1800 models from 2001 to 2015.
Make sure this has all been checked.
Mileage on a well maintained Goldwing means it will last many more years, there is one that has over 300,000 miles on it.
If you go for a GL1500 go for the newest one as they have improved lighting and the Valkyrie transmission.
Thanks for the info
haven't done anything yet so still waiting on my check from insurance before i start to look again trying to stay in the 10k range used off course

Registered
Discussion Starter #7
How much are you willing to spend? A trike with over 100,000 miles might be a better runner than one with 10,000 miles, and been sitting for 5 plus years. A dealer near me had a 2007 Gold Wing trike with 129,000 miles a year ago that looked like new. It was on the floor about a week. I never caught the price. By the time I thought about it, and went back, it was sold.
gumbyredd
sorry put it on hold for a bit waiting to see what insurance gives me but trying to find used around 10 k

1 - 7 of 7 Posts