Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hello all:

Can anyone recommend an intercom system for full duplex helmet to helmet conversation (the wife wishes to talk to me when we are out touring around).

The 85 Interstate I have has never had a radio system/speakers in it and I really don't care for a radio but I thinkan intercom as long as you can speak normally with no buttons to push would be a good idea.

I have looked around on the web but I see mostly the ones that plug into a radio type system which I don't have. To put a radio in the Intestate now would be too expensive I think.

Thanks for your replies.

·
Senior Guru
3,589 Posts
imported post

I've seen a few people using Autocoms. Can't say how good they are though. You will probably get better opinions later on. :)

·
Premium Member
2,169 Posts
imported post

My mate and I are using Autocoms, and have found them to be perfect (for our needs, anyway)

We chose the Active-7-Smart. It is the smallest unit in physical size, which makes it easier to mount/hide, and it is also bike powered.

On my mate's GL1200 Aspencade, (we couldn't find/source any of the original Honda stuff), he has music from the radio/cassette, he plugs his phone in so he can answer any calls (not make any), and also has a bike to bike radio plugged in as well.

My own bike is an '88 Magna, with even less places to mount stuff; but with the Active-7-Smart system being so small, I just managed to fit it under the seat. My own system also has my phone plugged in and the bike to bike radio so we can annoy each other on long trips. As I do not have a radio on my bike, I have plugged in an MP3 player for my music, and have recently added a GPS system. These systems are really good.

The kit comes with one control box, one headset, (you need to get a seperate headset for a passenger). Just plug in and away you go.The vox and volume settings are adjustable, and after one or two trial runs, we have it running good.

Read the bumpf on www.autocom.co.uk and you will see.

The kits and set up looked confusing to me at first, so I e-mailed them. Very good feedback and help. It is supposed to be A1 up to 150mph, and although we havn't tested that end of it, it was perfect at 95mph.

Hope this helps.

Phil.

G

·
0 Posts
imported post

Chippy01 wrote:
My mate and I are using Autocoms, and have found them to be perfect (for our needs, anyway)

It is supposed to be A1 up to 150mph, and although we havn't tested that end of it, it was perfect at 95mph.
Hey Chippy01 :gunhead: Slow down before it's too late. :crying:

:stumped: :18red: :stumped:

·
Premium Member
2,169 Posts
imported post

Easy there,
Redwing.That was just an experimental 'blip' on the throttle my mate done, as he put it, 'Just to see what the pick-up was like from 75 on an old Aspencade'.

I cracked on after after him just to see if my lowly 750cc V4 could do the jobof matching the pace of a 1200cc flat four. It did with no effort.

Any how, we were only up there for about 30 secs to a minute exchanging 'pleasantries', when we dropped back to the proper limit on the N7. That is one nice piece of road. Dead straight in places where such a limited test can be done. Just have to watch carefully for the Boys in Blue, though.:shock:

·
Premium Member
578 Posts
imported post

Hi eddycurrent, I use one of these intercomms found at maplins http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=10060&TabID=1&source=15&WorldID=&doy=17m4. the reciever clips on your belt and the boom mikes clip to the side of your helmet, but I found they need sewing into the linning to prevent an annoying droop. The line is open all the time, no buttons to push and there is only one volume control but the battery lasts for ages.

·
Premium Member
235 Posts
imported post

I had a J&M intercom on my 81 1100. It had a standard 1/8" phono jack for external audio if you wanted it. I like it in one way better than the stock honda intercom. It has a variable VOX so that when you are in crosswinds you can set it so that it won't trip until you talk. Granted you have to talk pretty loud at that point to trip it but it beats the alternative of having the wind noise popping in your ears all the time.

http://www.jmcorp.com/

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.