Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Just picked up my new bie today. A 2002 with only 7900 miles on her. Please provide any recommendations on the best wax/polish to remove paint swirls. Color black.

·
Other side of the pond
3,409 Posts
imported post

T-Cut first, followed by whatever wax you normally use.

·
Premium Member
144 Posts
imported post

I've been using Turtle Wax Color Magic. It comes in colors. In my case black. This year I picked up some Turtle Wax Color Detailer for black. Both products work reasonably well. My old Harley has marginal paint. This stuff hides some of the damage.

·
Vintage Rider
2,410 Posts
imported post

Unfortunately black is the most difficult color to remove scratches from, and keep looking good, but any dark color is almost as bad. I have a black '02 Vulcan 750, with swirls, and just gave up. The problem is the clearcoat. It is a LOT softer than the paint, and trying to polish it seems to make it worse. In my case, I am considering having it painted a lighter color, but this is just a basic bike, tank and fenders. White paint has the same swirls, you just can't see them like you can with the dark colors.

·
Premium Member
2,076 Posts
imported post

Ive used this stuff for years on black paint just get some black shoe polish and put a layer on and then buff it out do this a few times and the swirls will go away then put some good wax on top of it like Meguairs put a few layers of that on and it should look good

·
Vintage Rider
2,410 Posts
imported post

I almost forgot. I don't know if you can still get it, but Honda spray cleaner and polish worked well for me. Very similar to furniture polish. It leaves a coating that kind of fills in the scratches in the clearcoat and gives it a wet look. Of course it has to be reapplied quite often, and that would be quite a job on an 1800. I don't have a good answer. I have seen a lot of high dollar black cars around here (Mercedes, BMW, etc) and they look terrible, while the light colored ones still look almost new. I have a black Ninja 500, that I bought new in '09, and it also has a lot of swirls in the clearcoat, and several scratches on the tank from using a tank bag.

·
Premium Member
1,424 Posts
imported post

Understand that you only have "X" amount of clear on top of the color, that the clear is even thinner on any sharp edge, and that "X" is a variable that decreases with polishing.

Most products are meant to be used with powered buffers and that can be dangerous to finishes in an unpracticed hand.

Using products by hand that are meant for machine use can lead to no improvement.

Remember that as you polish, you are replacing scratches of "Y" depth with scratches of "Z" depth, and that most final waxes depend on solvents/oils for the shine, and they evaporate.

With those precautions, I like Super Assilex Orange for sanding scratches, Evercoat Triple Cut compound followed by 3M Hand Glaze.

·
Premium Member
1,735 Posts
imported post

wow, lots of different answers. good read.

·
Premium Member
2,722 Posts
imported post

I know I'll get some chuckles, but the best polish I've found is Kit brand, sold at autozone in a yellow bottle. It's called Scratch Out. It's basically cheap generic brand hand polish, but I tell ya, it turns what ever finish you're workin' on into glass with little effort. I've done side by sides on panels with 3M, Turtle, and Meguiares, and every time I wind up back at the Kit brand.

·
Premium Member
351 Posts
imported post

Dave, I have been using zaino for years and it does give a beautiful result, from a distance. Close up, however, my dark green paintwork has developed some swirls. I have always used their flagship product, i.e. what is currently called the Z2-Pro, with a few drops of the additive currently called ZFX. Looks like I should try their Z5-Pro to remove (or fill) the swirls...have you tried that at all?

·
Premium Member
1,173 Posts
imported post

Clay bar it and use Quality wax, Just did it to a friends and it came out Well when I do mine i keep it up with detailer.

Mine is that pearl deal that only appeared on 84's. Looks black till you get it in the sun.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.