Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
501 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hi, everyone.! Been a great summer here in N.E. ohio. there is a tear in my corbin seat at the piping now.. not bad. but the beginning of something worse to come.. i live in an ohio community that has a large population of "Amish" people.. was thinking of finding one of them to re-cover my corbin seat this winter.. has anyone in your home area had this done by Amish Craftsmen.? i have seen some examples of the work they can do. and some of it was pretty good.. plus a savings in having it re-covered by them, and not a seat manufacturer.. i'm not about to ride all the way to califonia to corbin.. just to have that seat re-done.! tell me of your experinces with getting this seat done by the Amish. not sure if it's the right move to make...??? of course if someone was to loan me the money. then i'd buy a NEW corbin seat.! not likely though i know...

·
Premium Member
50 Posts
imported post

The Amish have no eletricity so it will be an abortion of a hand stich. search around town for a local M/C seat builder, They will charge $100-$150 max for a vinal recover. I know of 3 seat guys in my area. 2 advertise on Craigslist.1 guy has been around longer than Corbin, which isn't Mikes name by the way, Corbin is the name of the street his original shop was on.

·
Vintage Rider
2,410 Posts
imported post

I thought Mike Corbin retired some time ago, and sold the company. Whatever his name was, I think he was just a bit eccentric. I mean "workshop of wizards?" Come on. Anyway, I bought one of his seats, for an '01 KLR650, back in '01, and it was the most expensive motorcycle related mistake I ever made. It was actually WORSE than the stock seat, and I gave it a chance. I got lucky, and sold it for almost half what I paid for it, and happily put the stock seat back on.

·
Premium Member
501 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

Hey, oldgold.. i dont know how much you have been around the amish people. but they can use electricity.. except it has to come from a generator... the place where they are not permitted to use electricity is in thier personal homes... they use diesel power in stationary engines to run sawmills and the like... so having a generator to produce electric outside the home is not an issue anymore... if i'm told they will hand stitch... then i'll go somewhere else.

·
Premium Member
501 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

hey, jerry, my seat has just a small one inch tear in the leather... and some wear marks where the color has rubbed out... and a bit of weather cracking... the original foam and padding underneath is in very good condition... i'm hoping that can stay on.? when i get it re-covered... there is a leather company and tack shop near me in this community... those are the places i plan on targeting for materials to do the seat... true when you say it wont be a corbin seat any longer.. but if done properly and carefully. i can be darn close to one... i dont care for vinyl.. to hot on the backside.. and does not breathe... gives a person a pretty good case of monkey butt that vinyl does..not for me. staying with leather. and all new leather. since i have the resources around me here.. come spring 2012 i'll let you know of the results... ride safe.

·
Premium Member
1,317 Posts
imported post

Check with a local unholsterer. One near me offered to replace only the damaged panel on mine. I actually had an appointment to have mine done when I was offered the Hartco I now have.

All things equal, I wish I would have kept the Corbin.

·
Friend of Bill W.
1,930 Posts
imported post

I bought a used corbin for $50.... had it repaired for $120. I am enjoying my corbin seat.

·
Premium Member
501 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

sidecar, upholstery shop... had that on my mind too.. if i can get a reasonable quote...??? and now that you mention it. just the main panel is in need of repair.. not the entire seat itself... i want it to be dyed black too.. dont like the rust brown color of the leather on it.. the passenger seat panel and passenger backrest are all in good condition still.. bike has been ridden solo.. not much 2up riding ever.. a lot of butt has been in the main seat.!

·
Premium Member
430 Posts
imported post

I rebuilt my corbin seat last winter. I took off the naugahide cheep crap covering that was ripping out all over and replaced it with real leather, put full quill ostrich in the seats and back rest.These seats are a lot of work to re do because of all the different parts and pieces they are made out of. I would be willing to give you a price but be aware it will not be cheep. I can send you some pictures of my seat if you like.
Randy

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.