Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Forum Diplomat
7,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I think I've mentioned here how on our first day heading for Nassir 4 we almost hit a black bear, and about how a couple of days after leaving Nassir, we almost hit a deer again....thank God for the linked braking system of our ST1300.....

But I don't think I've mentioned yet what is going to be one of my favorite memories: The Night My Red Battled The Killer Raccoons For Possession of Our Water Bag!

You might know that 4evermetric, sometimes known as Marty, volunteered his camp spot, grill, and camper in Manchester State Park for nightly campfire gatherings, where we would kick back, eat Marty's great hamburgers and hot dogs, imbibe, and laugh at the antics of QDaddy, Kyle, and Flyone! Good times!

Well, we left the gathering one night and made our way back to our tent in the dark....the real dark.... we were walking up to our tent door when we heard rustling over on one side. I flashed our light over there...and, yeah, two big, full grown '***** with them beady eyes of theirs. And seemingly very unimpressed by our presense... But we've watched enough Disney shows, and so to show our sensitivity to wild things, we said something inane like "Hi, guys," and shut the light off and started taking our shoes off..... and then we heard something being dragged....

Flash! Goes the light.....to reveal one of the raccoons dragging our expensive Camelback water bag backwards into the brush! (Remembered later that we had some beef jerky in one of the pockets....) But Red had had enough....

"Oh, no, you don't," she screamed. And she was on that poor '**** in a flash! "Give me back that bag, you @#^&*%$!, she yelled, as I watched, fascinated, the tug of war, the duel to the death, between her and old Raccoon!

But the Red-haired Wonder won, and the raccoon gave up and retreated into the woods, snarling at us both!

You can say and do many things to my Red, and she's slow to anger, but you better leave her jerkey and water bag alone!

:ROFL::ROFL::ROFL::ROFL::ROFL:

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,149 Posts
imported post

:claps: :claps: :claps: :claps: :claps: :claps: :claps:

·
Premium Member
2,642 Posts
imported post

:shock::ROFL::shock::shock::ROFL::ROFL::ROFL::ROFL::shock::ROFL::ROFL::ROFL::ROFL:

I don't like those sticky finger little buggers.................

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
imported post

OMG!! PETA says, "You leave those critters alone! They were here first!" :readit:

Those must be the same '***** that were in our site that morning. Helen just asked them, " What do you tihnk you're doin' here?" and they fled. I think she gave them that same look I get when she catches me with my hand in the cookie jar. :watching: Sends me runnin' too.

Red probably had to fight those things off because she smiles too much and they weren't convinced of her indignation. She needs to work on that poker face. :cheesygrin:

·
Premium Member
5,319 Posts
imported post

I was wondering what all that commotion was coming from your campsite (next to ours). Now I know!

:thumbsup::applause:

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
imported post

Halfling wrote:
I was wondering what all that commotion was coming from your campsite (next to ours). Now I know!

No, no, John. That's just their COVER STORY! ;)

·
Premium Member
5,734 Posts
imported post

wpgfire wrote:
Halfling wrote:

No, no, John. That's just their COVER STORY! ;)
:claps::claps::claps::claps::claps::claps::claps:now--- things come to light.

·
Premium Member
1,317 Posts
imported post

ILLINOIS RACCOON SUPPER
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

3-4 raccoons, 4-6 lbs. each
5 tbsp. salt
2 tsp. pepper
2 c. flour
1 c. shortening
8 med. onions, peeled
12 sm. bay leaves

Cut prepared raccoon in serving pieces. Reserve meaty backs and legs for baking. Cook remaining pieces in water to make broth for gravy and dressing. Add small amount of seasonings. Simmer until meat is tender; strain, and use only the broth. Sprinkle back and leg pieces with salt and pepper.
Dredge with flour. Heat shortening in heavy skillet. Add meat; brown on all sides. Transfer pieces to roaster; add onions and bay leaves. Cover. Bake at 350 degrees for 2 hours, or until tender. Make gravy by adding flour to drippings in pan. Use raccoon broth for liquid. Serve pieces over dressing. Pass gravy. Serves 24.

DRESSING:

3 loaves day-old bread, crumbled
2 1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. pepper
2 1/2 tsp. powdered sage
4 eggs, beaten
1 (1 1/2 oz.) pkg. dehydrated onion soup
4 stalks celery, chopped
1/2 c. raccoon broth

Bake in a large shallow pan at 350 degrees for 30 minutes.

·
Premium Member
335 Posts
imported post

SidecarMike wrote:
ILLINOIS RACCOON SUPPER
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

3-4 raccoons, 4-6 lbs. each
5 tbsp. salt
2 tsp. pepper
2 c. flour
1 c. shortening
8 med. onions, peeled
12 sm. bay leaves

Cut prepared raccoon in serving pieces. Reserve meaty backs and legs for baking. Cook remaining pieces in water to make broth for gravy and dressing. Add small amount of seasonings. Simmer until meat is tender; strain, and use only the broth. Sprinkle back and leg pieces with salt and pepper.
Dredge with flour. Heat shortening in heavy skillet. Add meat; brown on all sides. Transfer pieces to roaster; add onions and bay leaves. Cover. Bake at 350 degrees for 2 hours, or until tender. Make gravy by adding flour to drippings in pan. Use raccoon broth for liquid. Serve pieces over dressing. Pass gravy. Serves 24.

DRESSING:

3 loaves day-old bread, crumbled
2 1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. pepper
2 1/2 tsp. powdered sage
4 eggs, beaten
1 (1 1/2 oz.) pkg. dehydrated onion soup
4 stalks celery, chopped
1/2 c. raccoon broth

Bake in a large shallow pan at 350 degrees for 30 minutes.

OMG!!!!! I think I would rather starve!
:thumbsdown::thumbsdown::thumbsdown::thumbsdown::thumbsdown:

·
Premium Member
10,253 Posts
imported post

This past weekend we went camping, Friday night no problems....Saturday night a different story...Told our oldest son to take the nylon straps I had brought around all of the ice chests and any thing with food stuffs in it...Did they????? Nope...Got up Sunday morning had to drive into town to buy more bread, butter, and eggs....Them critters got into one ice chest, ate our butter, tore a hole in a never opened tub of butter, tore open two loafs of bread, got into the eggs big time....OH yeah they found a box of 24 Hershey's chocolate bars, (for smores)....Next time I bet you money the boys pay attention to the old man.....

·
Gregarious Greeter
16,809 Posts
imported post

You don't have to eat em' Red. Just wrestle them into submission for us.:cheeky1:

·
Premium Member
228 Posts
imported post

Must be the same buggers that got Wine_r's banannas and tortilla chips - frickin' theives! :)

·
Premium Member
335 Posts
imported post

redbaron wrote:
OH yeah they found a box of 24 Hershey's chocolate bars, (for smores)....Next time I bet you money the boys pay attention to the old man.....
[/quote}

THE HERSHEY BARS?!? :lash::lash::lash::lash::lash::lash::lash::lash::lash::lash:

That would be war on the critters!

Red :thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
1,238 Posts
imported post

JUST CAN'T BEAT FUN

·
Premium Member
8,242 Posts
imported post

Be happy thatthey were the Port Orchard Riff Raff *****, if they had been the Mt.Ranier *****, they would have Motorcycle Jacked you and you would have had to call out Search and Rescue !:applause: :D

oh........and don't ask QDaddy about the *****, he named one of them "Mayo" and the other "Naysee" and the family.:smiler:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.