Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,082 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Effective Jan 1, 2012 in Illinois:
Motorcycle Red Lights (HB 2860/PA 97-0627): Allows motorcyclists stopped at a red light to proceed through the light if, after waiting a reasonable length of time, the red light fails to change to green. Governor Quinn issued an amendatory veto to change the language of the measure, however both the House and Senate overrode his changes and the bill became law as originally passed.

·
Senior Something
13,270 Posts
imported post

Found this on another site.

The following states allow you to proceed through a red light, provided you satisfy the conditions specified in the State Code:

South Carolina: Section 56-5-970 (C)(5), must come to complete stop for 120 seconds, proceed cautiously.

North Carolina: Chapter 20, Article 2, Section 158(e) , full and complete stop for three minutes.

Wisconsin: Chapter 346, Subchapter VI, Section 346.37(c), stop for at least 45 seconds.

Idaho: Title 49, Chapter 8, Section 49-802(3)(e), "...may proceed using caution and due care." No time specified.

Arkansas: Title 27, Subtitle 4, Chapter 52, Subchapter 2, Section 206, Full and complete stop, excercise due care, proceed with caution when it is safe to do so. No time specified.

Tennessee: Title 55, Chapter 8, Section 110(b), Full and complete stop, excercise due care, proceed with due caution when it is safe to do so. No time specified.

Minnesota: Chapter 169, Section 06, Subsection 9(a), Complete stop, signal stays red for "unreasonable time." No definition of unreasonable time given.

States with pending legislation:

Missouri: As of June 20, 2009, “A bill on Governor Jay Nixon’s desk would give one group in Missouri the green light to run red lights.” “Nixon must sign or veto the bill by July 14th.” http://www.nbcactionnews.com/mostpo...To-Run-Red-Lights/ZRMN-dHNXEaqTDblin5Kjw.cspx

Oklahoma: House Bill 1795 pending

Georgia: House Bill 617 proposed, but was not approved for vote on the House floor by the Rules Committee.

Other States, Other Rules:

Pennsylvania: Title 75 Part III Chapter 31 Section 3112 (c), if the light is malfunctioning, you may stop and proceed as if it were a stop sign. No definition of "malfunctioning" is given, but it can be argued that if it is not sensing a motorcycle then it is malfunctioning.

California: Vehicle Code Section 21450.5. Traffic signal must be installed and maintained so as to detect bicycle or motorcycle traffic.

Colorado: 42-4-612, if the light is malfunctioning or stays steady red during "several time cycles" the rules for entering a street or highway from a stop street or highway apply (treat it like a stop sign).

·
Premium Member
94 Posts
imported post

I've had that problem with my 750, but my 1800 at the same stop light seems to trigger it. Eventually on my 750 I just had to run the light after scanning for police cars.

·
Valkyrie Scum
2,777 Posts
imported post

Kansas passed similar legislation earlier this year though it hasn't been a problem for me since my teenage Honda Elite days. ;)

·
Premium Member
596 Posts
imported post

One of the best laws ever passed here in SC !

·
Premium Member
304 Posts
imported post

ebanjo wrote:
Pennsylvania: Title 75 Part III Chapter 31 Section 3112 (c), if the light is malfunctioning, you may stop and proceed as if it were a stop sign. No definition of "malfunctioning" is given, but it can be argued that if it is not sensing a motorcycle then it is malfunctioning.
Thank you. I'll keep a printout of this with my bike in case I am ever stopped for this.
:thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
2,642 Posts
imported post

I have had a couple of lights that would not trigger with the bike. I contacted DOT and they went out (Isaw them personally) and checked the signals and they have fixed the problems rather quickly. I don't think people realize that you can make a complaint to their respective DOT's to get them checked.

·
Premium Member
596 Posts
imported post

When the law passed I too put a copy with my reg. and ins. ifo.

·
Senior Something
13,270 Posts
imported post

HyperPete wrote:
ebanjo wrote:
Thank you. I'll keep a printout of this with my bike in case I am ever stopped for this.
:thumbsup:
Check that yourself to see if it is true before you get pulled over. :readit:

·
Premium Member
304 Posts
imported post

Good Idea ebanjo. I downloaded the code, and it reads:

(c) Inoperable or malfunctioning signal.--If a traffic-control signal is out of operation or is not functioning properly, vehicular traffic facing a:
(1) Green or yellow signal may proceed with caution asindicated in subsection (a)(1) and (2).
(2) Red or completely unlighted signal shall stop in the same manner as at a stop sign, and the right to proceed shall be subject to the rules applicable after making a stop at a stop sign as provided in section 3323 (relating to stop signs and yield signs).
(Dec. 21, 1998, P.L.1126, No.151, eff. 60 days)

·
Pwhoever
3,182 Posts
imported post

When I leave work, I have to deal with a red light that will only turn green if the sensor is tripped by a vehicle. The rest of the time, that light at the intersection will always stay red. It doesn't cycle automatically like the rest of the other traffic sinals at that intersection. I had problems because the bike wouldn't trip the sensor. However I discovered that if while sitting at the light, I reach my left foot back and push down on the center stand with my heel so it makes contact with the road surface, I could get the light to turn green for me. I have to be right over the sensor for this to work. I could see the outline in the pavement for the sensor. But having a law that deals with malfunctioning red lights is a lot easier...

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Same thing for Washington and Oregon. If the sensor doesn't see your bike you can go when safe to proceed.

·
Premium Member
1,082 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
imported post

Does anyone use those red light trigger magnets that are sold? I wonder if they help any.

·
Premium Member
1,514 Posts
imported post

ebanjo wrote:
Found this on another site.

The following states allow you to proceed through a red light, provided you satisfy the conditions specified in the State Code:

South Carolina: Section 56-5-970 (C)(5), must come to complete stop for 120 seconds, proceed cautiously.

North Carolina: Chapter 20, Article 2, Section 158(e) , full and complete stop for three minutes.

Wisconsin: Chapter 346, Subchapter VI, Section 346.37(c), stop for at least 45 seconds.

Idaho: Title 49, Chapter 8, Section 49-802(3)(e), "...may proceed using caution and due care." No time specified.

Arkansas: Title 27, Subtitle 4, Chapter 52, Subchapter 2, Section 206, Full and complete stop, excercise due care, proceed with caution when it is safe to do so. No time specified.

Tennessee: Title 55, Chapter 8, Section 110(b), Full and complete stop, excercise due care, proceed with due caution when it is safe to do so. No time specified.

Minnesota: Chapter 169, Section 06, Subsection 9(a), Complete stop, signal stays red for "unreasonable time." No definition of unreasonable time given.

States with pending legislation:

Missouri: As of June 20, 2009, “A bill on Governor Jay Nixon’s desk would give one group in Missouri the green light to run red lights.” “Nixon must sign or veto the bill by July 14th.” http://www.nbcactionnews.com/mostpopular/story/MO-Bikers-Could-Get-Green-Light-To-Run-Red-Lights/ZRMN-dHNXEaqTDblin5Kjw.cspx

Oklahoma: House Bill 1795 pending

Georgia: House Bill 617 proposed, but was not approved for vote on the House floor by the Rules Committee.

Other States, Other Rules:

California: Vehicle Code Section 21450.5. Traffic signal must be installed and maintained so as to detect bicycle or motorcycle traffic.

Colorado: 42-4-612, if the light is malfunctioning or stays steady red during "several time cycles" the rules for entering a street or highway from a stop street or highway apply (treat it like a stop sign).
Kansas now has this law also as of june of this year.

·
Premium Member
304 Posts
imported post

Bob W wrote:
Does anyone use those red light trigger magnets that are sold? I wonder if they help any.
I use a neodymium hard drive magnet on my M109R from a huge old SCSI computer hard drive that's about 1" X 2" X 1/2" and it works great in most circumstances. I have another one that I need to remember to put on my wing.

I had purchased one of the commercially available magnets and didn't notice much effect. It is very weak compared to the neodymium magnets I have, however.

I've also read that if you position your bike right near a corner of the sensor cutout that it is more effective at detecting your bike.

·
Premium Member
2,722 Posts
imported post

Man, why can't Arizona pass a law like that. I have to go out of my way to plan my trips so I don't wind up at a light without cars.:whip:

·
Goldwing Addict :-)
12,840 Posts
imported post

93Wing wrote:
I contacted DOT and they went out (Isaw them personally) and checked the signals and they have fixed the problems rather quickly. I don't think people realize that you can make a complaint to their respective DOT's to get them checked.
+1. I've done this several times also with very quick results. If the light trigger is not picking up a motorcycle then it is not adjusted correctly. Do us all a favor when you run into one of these and call the local DOT so it will get fixed. :waving:

John

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.