Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I reved my engine way in the red today.:shock: It choked up and I closed the throttle immediately. It seems to run fine, but I would like to know what kind of damage can occur and what harm may I have caused?

Please share your comments.

Thanks,

SHNEV

·
Premium Member
109 Posts
imported post

I don't know! Do 1500s have rev limiters on them?

·
Premium Member
1,299 Posts
imported post

it's probably not a good idea to redline the motor without a load on it, doing it once probably didn't hurt it just don't make a habit of it.

·
Guru
3,074 Posts
imported post

You reved it up in neutral with no load or while riding with a load on the engine?

although honda's goldwing engines are very durable, things that could happen would be, Floating the valves. this is where the valve spring isnt strong enough to pull the valve closed before the piston comes back up. collision can happen during valve floating.

Your engine most likely choked out because you emptied the fuel bowls & starved the engine for fuel.

It is possible to suck the oil resovoir dry with some engines although I dont see this happening giving the squat design of the engine and the short flight your engine took.

How does it run now?

·
Premium Member
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

It seems to run okay now. I was passing a small truck that put me in a bind with other traffic. I didn't take my eyes off road or other vehicles near me. Shifting was the last thing on my to do list.

Thanks for experienced point of view hatchetman. I guess I just got nervous with the fact that I was in the red when I shouldn't rev it that high.

·
Premium Member
4,910 Posts
imported post

Another high risk with exceeding redline is that design strengths of rods, rod bolts, wrist pins, pistons, & crankshafts are moresubject to immediate failure. The older the metals involved, and the more use they've been subjected to, the lower the design "cushion" factor, due to metal fatigue.

For example, on the '88 1500 engines, at 8,000 rpm, the pistons change directions 267 times per second (twice per revolution), and travel an average of 56 feet per second. Now, at these speeds, there is greater "stretching" of the components, accompanied by flexing of the crankshaft. The more cylinder wear evident, the greater the likelihood of the top rings colliding with the cylinder "ridge", and breaking the compression rings.

I did this once, to a "granny-driven" old car I bought ('68 Chevelle Malibu, 307ci sb). :( Really expensive to make whole again! :waving:

·
Premium Member
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

So, I guess you fellas are trying to say that if damage did occur it would be immediate and catistrophic? I may be okay then.

·
Piled Higher and Deeper
4,513 Posts
imported post

shnev wrote:
So, I guess you fellas are trying to say that if damage did occur it would be immediate and catistrophic? I may be okay then.
You're okay... and the following will not apply to a normal wing..

but to complete the discussion on over reving, there is one more method of failure common to engines that are not regularly revved towards the high limit and that is top ring failure. If a ring ridge has formed under a long period of low reving (like the grannycar noted above), then revving the engine to very high speeds will lengthen the rods (by the force by piston acceleration) and the top ring goes farther up/out than the ridge that has formed. It hits the ridge and the ring breaks... You probably won't notice it until thousands of miles later as it looses compression..

Again, this would not be typical of a wing engine... I have yet to see a sginificant ridge in a piston bore of a wing, but it will no doubt happen at high mileage..

·
Just another ORF!
8,189 Posts
imported post

shnev wrote:
I reved my engine way in the red today.:shock: It choked up and I closed the throttle immediately. It seems to run fine, but I would like to know what kind of damage can occur and what harm may I have caused?

Please share your comments.

Thanks,

SHNEV
The Rev Limiter kicked in. This happens in the upper limits of the 'Red Zone' and helps prevent the engine from self destruction.

Try not to make a regular habit of doing this. :cooldevil:

Dusty

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

The 1500 does have a rev limiter though if the acceleration without a load is applied rapidly the rpms may overshoot. If by 'choked up' you mean the engine suddenly quit accelerating that would be the limiter. Ihit it once winding up in fourth gear, not a normal practice for me but was trying to see how fast the bike would get up to max speed.

·
Lost on this *****
4,317 Posts
imported post

I tickled the limiter once myself, I think I was just feeling my oats,,,,,,, and mabe because my cousin was on his Harley:cooldevil:. I made a mental note to never play that hard again. I've put something over 20,000 miles on her since. And we don't get much above 4k rpm anymore.

·
Guru
3,074 Posts
imported post

Dont get gun shy after this incident, wing motors are designed to handle rpm's better than most other bikes. You dont have to rev them way up but they can handle higher rpms sustained if you were traveling at 70 mph for instance.

·
Lost on this *****
4,317 Posts
imported post

Gun shy!!!!!!!!!! Me?????? The cruse sets at 75 mph,,,,,,,,,, and thats where it was most of the time going out to Colorado and back. A nice man in uniform even gave me a documented paper saying I was doing 76 mph. ;)I still wish I had made a copy of it.

·
Premium Member
10,276 Posts
imported post

I got one laying around here you can have, if you need to reminisce....:X

·
Premium Member
10,276 Posts
imported post

That's great!!!! :dude::dude::dude:

Attachments

·
Lost on this *****
4,317 Posts
imported post

I wasn't about to let it spoil my trip, thats for sure,,,,,,,,, so I just had fun with it.

·
Piled Higher and Deeper
4,513 Posts
imported post

Winger77 wrote:
I wasn't about to let it spoil my trip, thats for sure,,,,,,,,, so I just had fun with it.
what was the speed limit?.. looks like a two-way road..

·
Premium Member
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
imported post

I think I learned my lesson. I acually stayed awake a long time last night thinking about the whole incident. If I would have slowed and let the traffic negotiations just play out like they do I would have never had to gun the engine like that.

That said, I will enjoy putting many more miles on awesome bike. I guess I don't have to tell you all what a pleasure it is to ride a wing.

Thanks for the reassurance fellow posters.

SHNEV

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.