Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I got an 1985 goldwing with aluminum and black wheels,I was thinking of removing wheels this winter and try to remove paint and polish them up like they do for semi rims and tanks. Anyone ever do this ? Any one got pictures ? I thought it would look good and then I could have some fun with my harley buddys at the same time.:ROFL:Im thinking paint striper and green and brown polishing rouge like they use on semi???

·
Premium Member
935 Posts
imported post

Yes it's possible. The metal is ali so the finish you apply afterwards will be critical.

If you can find one talk to a good metal polishing shop first.

Just removing the paint and polishing with abrasives will only encourage the white mold to build up. On comstars that will be hard to keep clean. That in essence is why they are painted black in the first place.

The all ali finish was common on Suzuki's of the seventies and eighties. They were laquer coated at the factory and lasted well.

Be very wary of taking the comstars apart. I would not recommened or do this myself. Back in the early days of comstars they had a common reputation of exploding and most problems of this type were as a result of owners undoing the fittings that hold them together.

Type in a search for stove emameling wheels in this forum. Many have successfully done this and posted pics of the results.

Good luck.

·
Premium Member
935 Posts
imported post

Just realised your model may not have comstars!!

egnore that part if not relevent.:action:

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
imported post

Have them powder coated. Your choice though.

·
Premium Member
1,175 Posts
imported post

The 1200 probably has cast wheels. the look good with the smooth parts polished and rough parts painted. powder coating works well and so dose chassis paint.

Steve

·
The Irish Crew
3,932 Posts
imported post

Cast alloys for the 1200. You will be able to polish the parts that are easy to get at.

·
Old Broad
3,843 Posts
imported post

How well would these take to chroming?:?:waving::waving::action::action::action::action:

·
Premium Member
12 Posts
imported post

If you do attempt to do that, I would highly recommend clear powder coating after or at a minimum a aluminum sealer after. Cast after being polished will oxidize and get dirty very quickly with brake dust. You do not want to spend more time cleaning than riding.

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
22,588 Posts
imported post

Trying to get into the tight places to clean out the paint would be nearly impossible, and even harder to polish. The paint Honda puts on those wheels is pretty indestructable. Clean them up and save yourself a lot of heartache, and money.

·
Premium Member
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

ok wow I love internet there are a few places that do chrome powder coating the latest and greatest thing they tell me it 400.00 for both wheels ask to see some pics should be on way. Also you can polish like semi tank after you get the paint off but I think it would suck to try to keep clean.so we shall see maybe wiffey will get done for christmas lol.

·
Premium Member
935 Posts
imported post

Keep us posted with pics when fnished.:applause:

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
imported post

Chrome is great. Have them on my 1500. My friend put them on when he got the bike in 01.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.