Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Not really sure where to start with this. I have a Honda 2003 CR125R dirt bike that was purchased and used in Switzerland and then shipped here to the US in California. The California DMV says we need a certificate of compliance through the manufacturer (Honda) stating that the motorcycle meets EPA Standards in the US and California. Has anyone had any experience with this? Not sure how to contact Honda Europe Division? :?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Kurt

·
Piled Higher and Deeper
4,513 Posts
imported post

.. for an off road vehilce?? sounds strange to me.. Homemade with numbers gets tagged for off-road all the time...

I can understand if you are registering it for the street that it must at least be a 49 state/EPA approvedbike (unlessit is less than one year old,then it must be 50 state bike) so I'll assume you want it for the street too... My next step would be to talk to a referee station and see what they want... the local offices usually don't have reliable information.

·
Premium Member
382 Posts
imported post

Have you tried to contact a local Honda dealer to see if they give you any help or suggestions? Just a thought, good luck.

Brian

·
Premium Member
382 Posts
imported post

sandiegobrass, if I remember right from my days back in California off road vehicles have to be registered to be operated on public off highway areas. At least I think, but I could be wrong.

Brian

·
Piled Higher and Deeper
4,513 Posts
imported post

BPD25 wrote:
sandiegobrass, if I remember right from my days back in California off road vehicles have to be registered to be operated on public off highway areas. At least I think, but I could be wrong.

Brian
That is correct.. note that I said they have to be "tagged", but it is not exactly like a car or regular motorcycle and no smog inspection.. just some paper work and a sticker that you put on your bike.. (or whateveroff road vehicle)after they inspect the "numbers" to make sure it is not stolen.. generate paper and COLLECT FEES.. When I was going to Glamis with my sand toys in the 70's and then again in the 90's,the CHP (or maybe it waspark rangers)would set up inspection check points and impound your vehicle if it didn't have the correct "paper" and an off roadsticker... Vehicles that were street legal didn't need the off-road sticker...

Edit: seems Ca has been up to no good.. but it looks doable for the red sticker "out-of-the-box".. If you want the green sticker, it should havesomething other than3 or C in the 8th position of the VIN (which a foriegn bike may not have???)

Your OHV license plate
OHV license plates are green or red self-adhesive stickers with a numbering system unique to OHVs.

You will get a green or red sticker
A green or red sticker is issued according to the following criteria:

Green stickers are issued for all 2002 year model and older OHVs, including those that were previously issued a red sticker, and to 2003 and newer vehicles that comply with the California Air Resource Board emission standards for California. Green stickers allow year round use at all California OHV riding areas.

Red stickers are issued only for 2003 and newer year model OHVs that are not certified to California OHV emission standards and which have a "3" or "C" in the eighth position of the vehicle identification number (VIN). Red stickers allow seasonal use only in California OHV riding areas.

For sticker placement information, and to see a sample, see the Off-Highway Vehicle License Plates brochure.

NOTE: If your OHV is a motorcycle that you use solely in organized racing or competitive events on a closed course, you may obtain a permit that allows transportation of the vehicle to and from course events. The permit, for which there is a fee, is a reflectorized, red and white, numbered sticker that must be mounted on the vehicle in a clearly visible location. This permit remains valid until the vehicle is sold or dismantled.

Documents needed to register an OHV that has never been registered in California
If you purchase a new or used OHV from a California licensed dealer, the dealer will collect the fees due from you and provide the department with these fees and documents to transfer or register the OHV for you.

If you purchased an OHV that has never been registered in California from anyone other than a California dealer, you will need:

1-An Application for Title or Registration (REG 343) (PDF).
2-A vehicle verification by an authorized DMV employee or law enforcement officer, vehicle verifier, or authorized auto club employee.
3-Evidence of ownership, which may be:
A-The Manufacturer’s Certificate of Origin endorsed to the nonlicensed dealer and any bills of sale needed to establish a complete chain of ownership to you, or
B-An original or certified copy of the factory invoice to the nonlicensed dealer and any bills of sale needed to establish a complete chain of ownership to you, or
C-Out-of-state titling documents and any bills of sale needed to establish a complete chain of ownership to you.
4-Off highway vehicle fees and use tax, if due.

The Department of Motor Vehicles collects OHV licensing fees and maintains registration records pursuant to Vehicle Code §38010.

RED STICKER RIDING GUIDE

·
Premium Member
1,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

1-An Application for Title or Registration (REG 343) (PDF).
2-A vehicle verification by an authorized DMV employee or law enforcement officer, vehicle verifier, or authorized auto club employee.
3-Evidence of ownership, which may be:
  A-The Manufacturer’s Certificate of Origin endorsed to the nonlicensed dealer and any bills of sale needed to establish a complete chain of ownership to you,  or
  B-An original or certified copy of the factory invoice to the nonlicensed dealer and any bills of sale needed to establish a complete chain of ownership to you,  or
  C-Out-of-state titling documents and any bills of sale needed to establish a complete chain of ownership to you.
4-Off highway vehicle fees and use tax, if due.

The Department of Motor Vehicles collects OHV licensing fees and maintains registration records pursuant to Vehicle Code §38010.

RED STICKER RIDING GUIDE[/quote]

Sandiegobrass, thanks for posting a lot of useful information. The "Brick Wall" I'm up against is getting proof from Honda Europe that the engine is compliant with EPA standards for the State of California. I printed out REG 343 form needed by California DMV, I also have the Bill of Sale from Geneva, Switzerland and I am aware of getting a physical verification from the DMV. Where I hit the brick wall is with the VIN number which does not register with the DMV. Thus the requirement to prove the motorcycle isn't a polluter. Honda of U.S.A. was of no help to me.

·
Piled Higher and Deeper
4,513 Posts
imported post

Are you trying to register it for the street? or just off-road??

·
Premium Member
1,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

This is strictly an Off Road motorcycle. It may be used for racing on a closed track.

Thanks,

Kurt

·
Piled Higher and Deeper
4,513 Posts
imported post

ekurtike wrote:
This is strictly an Off Road motorcycle. It may be used for racing on a closed track.

Thanks,

Kurt
so I presume you want the "green" sticker.. seems like the "red" would be slam-dunk.. might first get the red, then get the "ducks-in-a-row" to get the green..

·
Premium Member
1,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

I may go the "Red Sticker" route for now. At least for the purpose of selling the motorcycle.

·
Premium Member
11,739 Posts
imported post

Not sure if this is of any help to you , but off road bikes do not need to be regiistered in Europe and therefore do not come under the same pollution laws as road going motorcycles and do not need paperwork . But if you contact HONDA Europe in Belgium and ask them for a certificate of conformity for the USA I am sure they will fax it to you , youmay have to go to your local Honda dealer and ask them to contact Honda Europe to get it .The cr125 is strictly an off road bike and was never built for on road riding as it has no lights or turnsignals etc ..

·
Premium Member
1,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
imported post

This is very useful information Ciaran, thank you! I will give this a try and report back.

Kurt:bowing:

·
Piled Higher and Deeper
4,513 Posts
imported post

After reading THIS CA REGS document, I am inclined to say "red sticker" or "craigslist"... might also be able to register it in another state if you know someone with an address... How things have changed since my days in the sand...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.